View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:16

Default Truly Caring Friends

Truly Caring Friends

When we honestly ask ourselves which people in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, offering solutions or cures, chose to share our pain and touch our wounds with warm and tender hearts and hands. The ones who know how to be silent in moments of despair or confusion, who stay with us in hours of grief and bereavement, content with not knowing, not curing or healing, are truly caring friends. Their presence helps us to face the reality of the predicament of the basic human powerlessness before the great issues, like life and death. Such friends are outer manifestations of the living God inside someone who is suffering. With the same compassion and the total and unconditional love and acceptance shown by them, the Divine embraces and comforts every suffering soul on the Earth plane.

In its search for a better understanding of the reason for its pain, every soul in the end bends its knees gratefully before the Highest. Only then can it be shown the way back home into its own true nature and its oneness with God and all life. For each and every one of us this happens when we have a sufficiently high degree of spiritual maturity. When the individual soul’s time for this has come and the dust has once more settled after a particularly traumatic experience, the Highest Self casts upon its small earthly counterpart the gift of Its wisdom. It consists of an increased comprehension of the wise higher purpose that lies behind all of Earth’s suffering. This is accompanied by the deep inner soul healing every human soul is eventually required to go in search of.

On the innermost level of our being, our Highest Self is the friend who deeply cares about us, accepts and loves us totally and unconditionally, just the way we are. That, to me, is the true meaning of the Jesus legend’s long promised comforter described in St. John 14:16-17: ‘And I will ask of my Father and he will give you another Comforter, for he abides with you forever. It is the spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it has not seen him and does not know him. But you know him, because he abides with you and is in you.’

Henri J.M. Nouwen
‘The Road to Daybreak – A Spiritual Journey’
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Words & Prayers For Healing Friendships’

Aquarius
Author of ‘The Random Jottings of a Stargazer’
And the Astro Files
http://www.raysofwisdom.com/

Last edited by Aquarius : November 19th, 2012 at 07:36.