The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 17th, 2007, 21:28

After checking with our local hospital, I am even more discouraged.. When I asked about the procedure, They said that they allow you to die and then... "bring you back" on a machine to allow the "harvesters" time to arrive.. Sometimes this is a very long time.. I can't even imagine this..
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiem0221 View Post
After checking with our local hospital, I am even more discouraged.. When I asked about the procedure, They said that they allow you to die and then... "bring you back" on a machine to allow the "harvesters" time to arrive.. Sometimes this is a very long time.. I can't even imagine this..
Oh wow... I don't know about all that.. Maybe I will just stick to donating my dead body to science. It is a shame to waste the organs but good lord.
Old July 19th, 2007, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmike123 View Post
Oh wow... I don't know about all that.. Maybe I will just stick to donating my dead body to science. It is a shame to waste the organs but good lord.
I know. I am not one to be so selfish but that would be so horrid for any person to go through. After finding that out, all I could think about is if they can bring you back on a machine, even though you are "dead" just a machine breathing for you, I would still think that it would be like the person dying AGAIN when they finally turned the machine off...
Old July 19th, 2007, 21:44

I guess technically you would be brain dead and it would just be a means of blood flow to preserve the organs. It still just seems inhumane.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiem0221 View Post
Well it might help to remember that there are good reasons for this procedure. It isn't meant as a macabre exercise and the organs will deteriorate if care isn't taken to keep all sorts of body chemistry and blood flow intact.
Old July 30th, 2007, 20:29

When I worked as an organ donor requester, it was not a matter of "letting" someone die. We were called in when a person was declared brain dead (a form of legal death) and was only being sustained on machines. If the family consented to donation, we retrieved whatever organs we could use. If the family did not consent, life support was removed at that time. Learning that a loved one is brain dead is a terrible loss, but in both cases the family had to grieve the removal of the dead person from life support--just in one case, the person had a chance to help others.
Old January 12th, 2008, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower_1978 View Post
I live in the state of Illinois and they started a new program last year that is very exciting. Normally in the state of Illinois even if you had a donor sticker on your licence your family could still go agaisnt those wishes. Now you log on to a site www.giftofhope.org and can register as a donor and if you are registered no one can reverse your decision.
I'm curious to know how many of you are organ donors. Have you made sure your family knows your wishes?
So, hospitals check this Gift of Hope site??
Old January 14th, 2008, 23:56

I am an organ donor & have been since I was 16. Like Cassie, my husband says he won't allow it. I told him the same thing, I would haunt him. I have a living will on file at the hospital & my mom is my health care agent because of this.
Cassie, I have a question for you. You said you felt differently when asked to allow your son to donate his organs, what if, God forbid, it were your son that needed the organ? I feel that once I'm gone, I don't need them anymore so why not help someone who needs it. I may never do anything terrific in my life but prolonging someones life is probably the greatest gift anyone can give.
Old January 30th, 2008, 13:16

I'm not a donor, but I really ought to sign up and become one. The thought of being able to help someone else if I died is, as ginahunt13 said, the greatest gift anyone could give.