The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Funeral speeches and eulogies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 6th, 2007, 19:27

Default Music as a Memorial

For me, one of the sweetest parts of a memorial service is the music that we use to pay tribute to the lives of the people we've lost. In a lot of the funerals I've attended, I remember little that was said, but I vividly remember the songs that were played or sung. I remember the theme from doctor zhivago being played at an uncles funeral. When my great uncle, my grandmother's only sibling passed, I remember his daughter chose the song "my daddy's hands". At my grandfather's funeral they played the song "If you get there before I do," which was so appropriate because the hardest part of his life ending was knowing my grandmother was left behind. The most memorable though was at my grandmother's funeral. Her favorite song from her youth was "The Last Waltz", and in the song it says " I had the last waltz with you, and the last waltz will last forever." My aunt also sang a song called "Where Have You Been" The chorus brings tears to my eyes because it goes "Where have you been, I've looked for you forever and a day. Where have you been, I'm just not myself when you're away." The song was so poignant because, as I've mentioned before, my grandmother suffered from dementia and she often forgot my grandfather was gone. She asked where he was, if anyone had seen him, and once even walked into a local store and seeing my uncle thought he was my grandfather. She marched up to him and exclaimed "Where have you been." The music from her funeral is such a comfort because it's a reminder that she has her companion and lover of 65 years back.
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:30
Administrator

I quite agree, harmony_mom, music can touch you like nothing else can. Thank you for your moving story, and for all your inspiring, helpful posts!

There's an article about how to choose songs and music for a funeral service on the Light Beyond website which readers might well find helpful. It also has a suggested list of songs and pieces of classical music.

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep: over 250 funeral poems, quotes and readings
If There's Anything I Can Do...: full of practical ways to help the bereaved
Old July 9th, 2007, 23:14

My best friend and I both loved Disney animated movies and nature. When she died, the song "The Color of the Wind" from Pocahontas was played at her funeral. I'm sure the funeral director thought we were nuts, but if ever a song suited a person, that song suited my friend Sylvia.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:46

I worked for 20 years as a musician, so I'm familiar with how powerful music can be. Even instrumental tunes can convey intense emotions, especially when attached to memories.

Once just before I was to start playing in a bar one night, people who had been to a funeral came in and requested a song for their event. This was very different, to play something appropriate for mourners drinking coffee, rather than something very upbeat for people out to party with beer, etc.

I sang "The Rose" for the mourners, and it seemed appropriate. The lyrics to that song seemed to work for the occasion.
Old July 14th, 2007, 22:37

Everyone is mentioning such good songs that bring up plenty of memories for me. I can see how they'd be fitting for a funeral. I love how music can express so much and can seem to touch everyone in a different way.
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:11

Speaking of very touching songs, Amy Sky has a beautiful one that I believe is called "I Will Take Care of You."

Those lyrics are applied to a newborn child at first, and then at the end of the song, the child is taking care of her mother and says words to the effect of "I will take care of you, I've learned from the best."

It's a really beautiful song that I was reminded of by this thread.
Old July 18th, 2007, 17:24

The music I want for my funeral will probably leave the attendees totally mortified because I want some smooth jazz played. Nothing really commemorative, nothing that touches the heart the way songs like "The Rose" does. I want it to reflect what I believed or my general mood, not something all too emotional.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 22:25

When my uncle died, his son played Johnny Cash at the funeral home instead of the classical music. It was more suiting and gave everyone a smile.
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:02

Default Music as a Memorial

I think music as a memorial is awesome. Music is so soothing and saids so much. there is so much expression in music.
Old December 1st, 2007, 22:36

At my friend's wake, they played the music he liked, his records, cds. So it was all punk music and no one minded. I one day would like to just take an mp3 player and designate it as the "music I want at my funeral." It sounds morbid but it would save time and be extremely perfect. The music was just terrible at my 2nd friend's funeral and everyone knew he would have had a fit.