The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Funeral speeches and eulogies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:13

Default A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Eulogy & How to Deliver a Eulogy

Writing a eulogy at a time when you're probably already grieving might feel like more than you can handle. But if you can take a deep breath and put your apprehensions aside, you'll find that it can be a profound and satisfying experience -- allowing you to help others celebrate your loved one's life and work through your own grief at the same time.

Here's how:

http://www.caring.com/articles/writing-a-eulogy
http://www.caring.com/articles/how-to-deliver-a-eulogy
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:05

There are some nice tips and all in here but frankly I think this makes it sound a lot more complicated and harder than it needs to be, esp if you're doing it for someone really close to you. No offense, but this is not a political or business speech, so I would suggest caring little about a bunch of "how to's," frankly. Nobody is going to care how polished or "professional" it is. This should be a common sense thing that comes from the heart. Sit down, write what comes to mind about that person (presumably just the good, it would be in exceedingly poor taste and spirit to do otherwise), then go say it. I have seen polished eulogies which I thought little of because they were clearly insincere and worried more about how they came off in their speech than the person in question...and I have seen unpolished, short, simple eulogies that came from the heart and moved everyone greatly and did great credit to the deceased. Mine wasn't anything splashy or great by any means and just a minute or so long but I thought summed up the person well, did them credit, and said what I felt about them. IMO that's what a eulogy is supposed to do.