The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Funeral speeches and eulogies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 4th, 2007, 12:17

I can see how this brings comfort to a lot of people but I have always been the opposite in that when I hear the song again it always seems to take me back to the day of the funeral instead of the memories of the actual person. I guess I am weird that way.
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
Speaking of very touching songs, Amy Sky has a beautiful one that I believe is called "I Will Take Care of You."

Those lyrics are applied to a newborn child at first, and then at the end of the song, the child is taking care of her mother and says words to the effect of "I will take care of you, I've learned from the best."

It's a really beautiful song that I was reminded of by this thread.
Ah, that sounds like the picture book "Love You Forever." That one has gotten quite a few tears from me since it was given to me as a gift.
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I can see how this brings comfort to a lot of people but I have always been the opposite in that when I hear the song again it always seems to take me back to the day of the funeral instead of the memories of the actual person. I guess I am weird that way.
Oh no, that isn't strange at all! The same thing happens to me. There are songs that were played at the funerals for both of my grandparents and also my uncle that I think of the funeral each time I hear them. Specifically, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Amazing Grace, and One Day at a Time. They all take me back to the funeral now and not to memories of good times.
Old December 9th, 2007, 13:56

Default birdsong

At my grandmother's funeral, there was a long tape playing of different birdsong. It was so fitting as my grandma loved being outdoors, gardening, and enjoying nature. I'm not sure who thought of it, but it was an inspired idea and totally fitting.
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
At my grandmother's funeral, there was a long tape playing of different birdsong. It was so fitting as my grandma loved being outdoors, gardening, and enjoying nature. I'm not sure who thought of it, but it was an inspired idea and totally fitting.
That sounds like a good idea. I guess it would also avoid friend's and family's sad memories associated with songs from the funeral service.

I suppose specific bird calls could trigger memories too, though?
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:13

There are a few I like which I will consider to be played at my own funeral. Ther're kind of sad but the words seem to say what I want my loved ones to hear. I like Sara Brightman, her voice is beautiful and she does some duets, with Andrea Bochelli and Paul Stanley. The CD is called Symphany and it's so comforting listening to it. Her previous CD called Saying Goodbye is also good with the song "Who wants to live forever". Also I've always liked Celine Dion's song played in Titanic " My Heart Goes On". Then there are the religious ones like: "I am the Bread of Life", and "Be Not Afraid" also faviorites of mine. Just thought I share them with those of you who may be looking for some nice music for your memorial service. Rachele

Last edited by Rachele : April 9th, 2008 at 11:16.
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:51

I recently attended a funeral for a friend of mine.

There was music from the album Divine Love by Drummond Walker which really fitted the occassion. The music brings back memories of when my friend was alive and helps me to remember all the good times.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 15:12

You can create a free virtual memorial page on my site www.regardskelly.com.

Thanks,

Kelly