The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grief recovery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 24th, 2008, 23:37

Default Confused?

I have to question life & death. I have a friend who's grandma has alzheimer's disease & has been in a 'vegetative' state for ten + yrs. Why are the people who are still very active (for their age) & alert/aware always the ones to die? I don't mean to sound like I want anyone to die, but I am pretty sure most people would not want to live in that condition (I wouldn't). I don't know if I am explaining it right but I can't think of another way to put it.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:48

There are ways of avoiding living like your friend's grandmother. You can tell your relatives and doctors that you don't want much to be done to save your life if something terrible happens and you end up in a coma or not being able to breath for yourself. But you have to make sure that everyone knows this because some loved ones might want to do whatever they can to keep you alive even if you are in a vegetative state.
Old April 1st, 2008, 00:55

Skatss, her grandma is not being kept alive by machines, she doesn't know anything but healthwise she is fine for her age. I know about living wills, as a matter of fact I have one. My grandparents did too. We followed what they wanted, grandma was alert but had a tube down her throat & couldn't speak. The nurse asked us before we saw her what we wanted to do. As shocked as we were grandpa piped up & told them to take her off the machine. I had to step in & tell them to wait until the rest of the family arrived so that everybody could say their goodbyes. After that they gave her morphine, removed the machines & we stayed with her for awhile. She died 30 mins. after we left. The thing I'm questioning is she was, at 83, healthy & active. The day before she died she was scrubbing the bathtub to get rid of the mildew. The next day she was dead. My friends grandma has been no idea what is going on around her. Sometimes I wonder if there is a God, why is he so cruel?