The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > General loss > Non-bereavement losses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 28th, 2007, 23:11

Default After 8 years at a job

I left a job a couple of years ago, after being there about 8 years. The small company was like a family to me. It killed me to give my notice, and some of them didn't take it well. Very emotional, but we got through it. It really effected me, more than I figured it would. My boss put me on a guilt trip, my 3 week notice turned into an extra 3 months! Well, that's how it is when you work for a small company. So much harder to leave!
Old August 29th, 2007, 18:36

I am so sorry for the loss of your job. It can be so hard, even when we know its time to leave.
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:20

So to hear about your difficult transition.

I spent 20 years as a working musician and it wasn't easy to make the change to another line of work, although I do like what I'm doing now as long as there is work available.

Best of luck in the future.
Old September 17th, 2007, 20:05

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job. That is a long time with a company. I hope you have found other things.
Old September 17th, 2007, 21:07

Yes, please give us an up-date? I think one of the hardest things to deal with short of death, is the loss of a long-time job. It is the extention of self, after all.
Old September 17th, 2007, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycharacter View Post
I left a job a couple of years ago, after being there about 8 years. The small company was like a family to me. It killed me to give my notice, and some of them didn't take it well. Very emotional, but we got through it. It really effected me, more than I figured it would. My boss put me on a guilt trip, my 3 week notice turned into an extra 3 months! Well, that's how it is when you work for a small company. So much harder to leave!
That takes a lot of courage, to leave a place when you've worked there so long and have gotten so comfortable there. I'm sure you are grieving the loss of this job (if not the loss of the manipulative boss ). Please let us know how you're doing...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by echos View Post
I think one of the hardest things to deal with short of death, is the loss of a long-time job. It is the extention of self, after all.
I think that's very true, particularly if it was a field of work that someone chose specifically at a fairly early age.
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:25

I am curious as to know how you're doing and what you have come across since leaving.
Old December 13th, 2007, 22:57

I know exactly how it is to work with a small company. They become like your second family. Why did you have to leave ? Did you find something that paid better?
Old December 14th, 2007, 13:34

I worked with a small company as well, and I really enjoyed working with the group I worked with. I finally had to tell myself that I had to quit, and I set my heart on it. I was able to quit, but my boss did not take it very well. She ended up not letting me finish my two weeks.