The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > General loss > Non-bereavement losses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 20th, 2007, 20:42

Default Loss of friend by his negative ways

A friend of mine that I have known for over 15 years came back into my life last year. It was so great to see him again and it seemed to me that he was the same old guy he had always been. However, for the past 8 months I have noticed that he constantly lies to people, including me, and then instead of facing up, he will run away and hide for weeks on end until he assumes that people have forgotten. He also does not work and has no problem having people help him out left and right, and even though he says he will repay, he has yet to pay back a penny, even in gratitude. Instead he will run off and hide again until once again, he assumes all will be forgotten. This is a 29 year old man, and someone who should definitely know better. After the last episode I have decided that I would be better off without him in my life. I just cannot trust someone who lies all the time, and has no feelings for the people he mooches off of. It is a shame since we have know each for so long, but there is really nothing left to say or do.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 13:33

I know what you're feeling, except it's my sister that I have lost. She used to be such a good girl. She made better grades than I did in school, never got in trouble. Then when she hit high school, she started skipping classes, met a boy, lost her virginity to him, failed most of her classes, started causing trouble, threatening teachers, not following dress code, so she was kicked out of school. Then my mom was tired of dealing with her running away all the time, so she came to live with me and my fiance. She worked and was never here. She was out with a diff guy almost every day. Finally, she made me mad enough to tell her to leave after almost a year of her living with me. She stopped paying her part of the rent on time, she stabbed holes in my walls with a knife, punched a hole in my shed, etc. So she moved in with this hispanic guy and rarely talks to any of her family anymore. Then she got pregnant, but she's not sure who the dad is. Now she wants us to help her, after she screwed us all over. I want to help her, but she has to help herself. She won't listen to anyone else. She's 19 years old and needs to make her own disicions. She's 5 months along now, and I'm throwing her a baby shower, but besides that, I never see or talk to her. I miss her. I miss playing board games with her, and us just being sisters. She's changed so much in such a short amount of time. What's bad, is I'm the older one. lol. I shouldn't want to play games and stuff, but I am still a kid at heart.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 19:20

My husband had a friend like this also. What was really strange about it is that it was like he thought he would never get caught and started to believe his own lies. I just assumed he was a culpulsive liar. We finally drifted away from him because we just never knew when he was telling the truth or when he was lying.
Old January 17th, 2008, 14:17

Leighdu, I agree with your take on the matter. I have an extended family member who lies either for casual convenience or to specifically manipulate people.

I wish her the best in her life, but at the same time she's basically burned a bridge in my estimate.