The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Pet loss > Coping with the loss of a pet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th, 2011, 04:48

Unhappy loss of my best friend ben

hi all
im trying to get over the great loss of my best friend ben,
,and glad i found this site .just knowing im not being silly,and i am not the only one.seem to help .i miss him so much,i just walk about in a daze.
we bought our beloved dog on a car boot in spain 10 years ago.when he was only 4 weeks old,saving him from who knows what.he has been by my side since,sleeping on my bed,and followed me everywhere.both me ,and the wife decided to go away for a break leaving our dog with my son.ben had a heart problem ,and was on tablets,but seemed fine.then we had the dreaded phone call from my son ,he took ben to the vets ,as he had keeled over.the option we had was to end his life or keep him on oxegen for 2 days at a cost of 1,600 to 2,000 we did not have the money ,and the vet said they could not promise a recovery.so i made the call to let him go .this was 11 days ago,and im so heart broken,more so if it was a family member.i dont know if this is normal.as my family have grown up,we looked on ben as a replace-ment.i contacted the vet to arrange the pickup of his ashes,and collar ,but have give me a bill for nearly 400.00 which has to be paid before the release of the ashes .i have asked if i can pay over 3 pay-ments ,and they said may-be,but i cannot have his ashes until i pay.we are both getting on in life.yes im a man .but i find myself crying 4/5 times a day ,and cry myself to sleep every night.does it get any better or do i need to go to the doctors.
will the pain subside,is it good to keep looking at his photo??
is it right to have his ashes ??
or should i just try to blank him out ??i.e get rid of the pictures etc.
the tears are rolling down me now just thinking of him.
thank you for this site .
some of the stories are comforting.
kind regards tony