The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a parent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 4th, 2007, 12:54

wondering how things are going.....

my brother and i removed our mother's life support. It wasn't really even our choice, b/c she had made her wishes very clear with her advanced directives. Altho it was painful enough, we knew it really wasn't our decision, it was hers. And it was the right one for her. Think about your dad's quality of life. Would he want to live on this way?
Old December 4th, 2007, 13:46

He's not in pain, day-to-day.... the pain will come when he pulls out his lines again - having them put back in, if indeed it is possible, is a brutal and painful procedure. And a terrifying procedure for someone who is deafblind and has lost all their adult memory.

That will be when the decision must be made. We are trying to prepare ourselves for it.

Pulling the lines out wont hurt - his veins are so bad, the last time, they just slipped out with hardly any help at all from dad.

The decision will be whether or not to put them back in...
Old February 7th, 2008, 14:27

He is with you only every now and than.Enjoying with you and Hearing You.So do not feel his absense anytime.
Old October 5th, 2008, 15:04

Dad died on 13 December 2007.

I am still broken.
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:57

I am so so sorry. I just read this thread and all the posts, including your last one, and my heart goes out to you. Also noticed that you havent posted on here in a long time. What has happened on your journey through the last year? I lost my dad nearly two months ago. His passing was very quick, but there was a similar traumatic hospital time, he fell into a coma, woke up again, but then died. He had septacemia and pneumonia which developed from a chest infection - one week he is fit and well, the next he is gone. The worst part was i was on holiday and only came back just in time to see him in hospital, tubes going in and out of him...an oxygen mask...he couldnt speak...it was horrible. I haven't even processed it yet. Let me know if there's anything you want to talk about, to vent, describe your worst feelings etc. Im sure our pain overlaps somewhere.
hugs, Bella x
Old October 6th, 2008, 14:23

Thanks Bella. I'm so sorry you are going through this too.

When dad was in intensive care, I felt like there was a wall between me and him. Like a barrier.... if only I could just reach him.
Old October 6th, 2008, 17:10

I can relate to what you're going through as I lost my dad in August this year. I watched him slowly fade as cancer took him away. Losing a parent is so hard.

I'm thinking of you.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:26

Default Kimeran

I know how you feel. I just lost my Dad last week to cancer. He was diagnosed with pancreatic and liver Cancer and 4 weeks later he died. We had just started chemo 1 week before his death. He went down hill so rapidly I am still in shock. I am a nurse so I guess I had this crazy rationalle that if I could get him to the doctor fast enough and he start chemo fast, we could have more time together. So essentially I put a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. I also have to be there for my mother so I am putting lots of effort towards getting her on her feet. This is the worst thing ever. I want my Dad back even for a short time.