The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a sibling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th, 2010, 16:02

Post Only child..

I've noticed not many people look at this often so I guess it's kind of letting out emotions for me to write this. My brother was killed last March in a motorcycle accident. He was killed instantly. The accident happened around 1:30 in the afternoon, while my dad and I were working, and my mom was at home. None of us had seen my brother that day. After I headed to my parents house to spend time with my family, I was pulling into the driveway when my brother's girlfriend called me. She asked if I had talked to him. I hadn't since early that morning. And I told her he must be home because I was looking right at his truck. Then she told me he was on the streetbike. I looked in the garage and in our storage building hoping to find it somewhere, which I didn't. She told me my brother's friend had called her and she thought they were playing a joke on her. I got his friend's number and called him and all he could say was he's gone. I started yelling "where is he" and then "what hospital" but he couldn't give me any answer except he was gone. He told me his roommate was on his way home and that there was a really bad motorcycle accident at their exit. His friend left immediately and pulled up at the scene and tried to get out. The police did not let him open his car door. He tried calling my brother's cell phone and it went straight to voicemail. Then he saw my brother's shoes. And then he knew for sure it was him. My brother could not be identified. We did not even know about the accident until 4 hours after he was already gone. After I got off the phone with the friend the sheriff pulled up in the driveway and said "I guess you already know". He walks in the house to my screaming mom and tried to talk to her. I was the only one who could focus on the sheriff. All he said was "here's the number to the medical examiner". Within 20 minutes I went from something's wrong to here's the number to the medical examiner. The rest of the week I was in shock. I felt numb. I had cried so much I couldn't anymore and I no longer had any feeling in my body whatsoever. On top of that, the medical examiner wouldn't release my brother to us until the had all of the identifying stuff in their hands. My brother laid in a morgue for several days and we could not have him. I couldn't understand why they could keep someone who wasn't theirs. He was ours. We got his personal items back. Cell phone, wallet, and piercings were all intact. We never saw him after we had seen him alive for the last time. He had a closed casket funeral and my parents were told if they wanted to see him, they could only see the bottom part of his right hand. I told them not to see him that way. If we couldn't see all of him the way we knew him then we shouldn't see him at all. It's better to remember someone how you knew them, then how they look in a casket. It's not them. It doesn't look like them at all.

I am now an only child and it sucks. That's all there is to it. Me and my brother had become extremely close up until the accident. Within the last year of his life, he had texted me late at night for relationship advice. He had gone to his first bar with me. We had taken multiple motorcycle rides together. Him driving and me on the back. How many little brothers would ride around all day long with their sister on the back? Not many that I know of. We were 5 years apart, me being the oldest, and we had just begun having fun together. Going on double dates. The last picture of him was taken on our double date.

I haven't gone one day without thinking about him. I can spend hours at the cemetery and not even notice it.

My brother was my best friend and I love him very much. I know he's always watching over me and can't wait til we can finally be together again.

I love you bubba.
Old September 19th, 2010, 19:59

ONLY CHILD, I AM SO SORRY. I read your story and I can feel your pain. I lost both mom and dad and it hurts . it was a while ago, yet it hurts. I can imagine your hurt and pain. I am sorry/ Pray and keep GOD close. GOD will heal you. Itwill get better . God bless you, John
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:50

I amso sorry for you're loss as well. I couldn't imagine losing both of my parents, but then again I never imagined losing my brother who was supposed to be there when we lose both of our parents. Not many people know what that kind of loss feels like. It's very unexpected. I'm very glad you read my post. It let's me know that there's someone going through the same stuff as me...