The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grief recovery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 5th, 2008, 12:50

Default Anxiety Disorders?

Is it common for people to develop anxiety disorders when they are in th situation of having to cope with the loss of a loved one?
Old January 11th, 2008, 21:38

I think anxiety and depression are common symtoms that occur with the loss of someone. If however, the grief is not dealt with it can lead to anxiety and depression that would require professional help.
Old January 21st, 2008, 13:09

I don't think I can think of any cases that I've known of, off the top of my head.

I realize that different people deal with grief differently.
Old January 21st, 2008, 22:12

Post Re: Anxiety disorders

Everyone's grieves differently. That being said: Trained professionals see it all the time, whether its grieving a death or a significant loss. Symtoms of anxiety, panic, depression and even suicidal thoughts can arise. I have heard people tell me they never grieved their loved one's death that occurred 10 years ago. Sometimes people have a tendency to avoid or suppress painful feelings that in some cases, if prolonged can lead to an anxiety disorder or major depressive episode. Some people after a death even experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. There are professionals out there that can help. Whether it be a social worker, counselor, therapist or religious affiliate. My point is there help for those experiencing these kind of symptoms. Hope this clarifies things a little.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:13

Rachele, I think I can identify with grief lingering for years, or with it slowly building after not really experiencing a severe amount immediately after the initial loss of someone.

I think I've noticed these feelings accumulating myself, and it can lead to depression.

I think I can deal with my situation, but I think it was helpful to read your post mentioning those cases.
Old January 24th, 2008, 21:02

I think it is very common, and most of the time people just don't recognize it in their family and loved ones.

I have found that most of the time people don't want to or know how to deal with thier grief and they end up keeping it all in till they bust.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:41

Default Stepdad Problems

Mum Died January 2006 We Where Very Close

Mum Never Left A Will

So Stepdad Organised All Funeral Without Consulting Me......

Had Headstone Engraved Staying In Loving Memory Of Wife.......no Mention Of Her Being Mother.......

I Only Want Photo Albums Of Her And Me With My Granmother And Granfarther To Remeber All Of Them By As They Are No Longer With Us........

All He Says Is I Havent Had Time To Sort Anything Out

I Really Need Them To Help With My Greaving Proccess........