The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grief recovery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 22nd, 2007, 20:07

Default Acceptance?

I am a 35 y.o. woman and I lost my grandmother 2 years ago. She was a mother to me, maybe moreso than my own mom(her daughter), but even more she was my best friend. I still wake up in the a.m. and think I have to call her and tell her something or other. I spoke with her every day, 4 or 5 times a day. I still cry every night. After everyone is asleep I sit up and think. I am driving myself crazy, I just can't accept it. What can I do?
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:37

If you have not gone to a grief support group, I would start there. Your grandmother was the foundation of your life, and now that this foundation is gone, you need help to rebuild. The moderator of the support group may also be able to suggest further counseling for you. What you feel is natural, so don't think it isn't. Everyone heals at a different rate, and you will heal too. You just need someone to help you through this.
Old November 29th, 2007, 17:27

I lost both of my great grandmothers in the same year, and most people don't really know their greats but I knew one and talked to the other on the phone (she was in Germany) so I felt connected to her. I always wanted to meet her.
I knew the other was suffering and had my times to visit her, but I didn't get to meet the other one and she died suddenly, I'd always heard she was a strong sturdy woman so I felt bad. No more homemade cookies for Christmas, no more making smalltalk with someone who didn't know much English or saw my face but still loved me.
I hope that you never try to forget your grandmother but instead of thinking about how you've lost her, think about the moments you spent with her.
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:43

This is clearly impacting every day of your life, and after 2 years, I think it's time to look for help. A grief support group may help, or, you may want to consider seeing a medical professional. You may have depression and chemical reasons could be a reason why you're having trouble after this length of time, too.
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reviewer View Post
This is clearly impacting every day of your life, and after 2 years, I think it's time to look for help. A grief support group may help, or, you may want to consider seeing a medical professional. You may have depression and chemical reasons could be a reason why you're having trouble after this length of time, too.
This is a good idea and I hope you will be able to find some help and support.
No one will tell you to "forget" your grandmother but you're asking about
"accepting" it and since it happened, you should have help in realizing it's
going to stay that way, and find the things that will help you get on with
daily life. They will be "little" things at first but gradually they expand and
you will start feeling better.