The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grief recovery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 10th, 2007, 11:01

Default Diet and Food

One of the things that tends to happen with grief is loss of appetite and motivation to prepare food. When one is part of a large community and can tolerate the presence of others, this is taken care of because people will cook and take food to the groef stricken to aid their recovery.

Not everyone can, or should, tolerate others being around when they are this vulnerable. What sorts of dishes or foods to you think they should buy, that have high nutritional value, but don't require tons of preparation?
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:14

I guess I would be sure to suggest fruits and vegetables. When you aren't feeling hungery because of grief those items are small enough you might be able to stomach it down easily and both contain a lot of nutrition that will help you along.

If you know someone grieving and want to bring them food but give them space how about making things like lasagna or other casserole dishes that can be frozen and they can make them when they are ready.
Old July 10th, 2007, 14:53

When I think of people bringing food to a family who's grieving, I imagine dishes like lasagna and casseroles.

I never really thought about why those were good choices, but lily makes a good point.

I wonder if there's a tie in here with what we consider traditional "comfort food?"
Old July 11th, 2007, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
When I think of people bringing food to a family who's grieving, I imagine dishes like lasagna and casseroles.

I never really thought about why those were good choices, but lily makes a good point.

I wonder if there's a tie in here with what we consider traditional "comfort food?"
I think it is tied in to the body preparing for famine. The cause of the stress doesn't get sorted out on that basic survival level, but the body demands a little fuel for the famine proofing. It might be the chemistry says to pack on fat so eating high energy foods is probably based on that.

Tryptophan tends to sedate, so the brain might also send signals saying that it cannot maintain the endorphin levels needed and needs sedation from an external source.

The need for other types of foods, like sweets, might be based on the brains consumption of glucose at a higher rate, which might explain why emotional eating tends to be heavy with short chain sugars, like candies.

Just my thoughts...I have no proof,
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:21

That's interesting. I wonder if the aftermath of a typical sugar rush would contribute to feelings of depression?

I remember lots of dessert squares being served at luncheons after funerals in the community where I grew up.
Old July 31st, 2007, 21:25

When my best friend died, I couldn't eat anything for two days. Just looking at food made me sick. Then another dear friend swooped in and took me out to one of the most expensive steak restaurants in town. She ordered my favorite meal for me and paid for it. Of course I couldn't let her money go to waste, so I finally ate something.

After that, during the worst days of my grieving, I found myself drawn to traditional "comfort" foods I remembered from being a kid--meat and potatoes stuff, and often sweets.
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
One of the things that tends to happen with grief is loss of appetite and motivation to prepare food. When one is part of a large community and can tolerate the presence of others, this is taken care of because people will cook and take food to the groef stricken to aid their recovery.

Not everyone can, or should, tolerate others being around when they are this vulnerable. What sorts of dishes or foods to you think they should buy, that have high nutritional value, but don't require tons of preparation?
When my grandmother passed on, I purchased one of the party platters from Wal-Mart.. They had sliced turkey and ham, 3 types of cheeses and then fresh veggies with dip.. And then a nice fruit tray. Quick, tasty and nutritional.
Old September 5th, 2007, 17:56

I am the person who makes food till it is running out of everyones ears. So I think I am opposite.
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:13

Default Diet and food

I think casseroles. chicken and meat trays are good. along with that freash frult is good. I really don't think healthyI just think of what would be easy for them, and others.
Old September 9th, 2007, 14:01

I always wondered why people seem to gravitate to the "table" when grieving or major life changes occur. I think that hunger/appetite and the need to come to the table together go way back. It brings people together and seems to sooth the soul. I think it's a God thing.