The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Relax, chat and inspire > Chat room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 15th, 2007, 08:12

Am intrigued by Truly, Madly Deeply and am going to see if I can rent from the video store. Would liek to see something realistic about death - unfortunately holywood does not portray the devastation anything like it is. Its neat and clean and tidy, last words said, beautiful faces and really when youthink about it death is not beautiful and clean. Its messy and dirty and ugly and painful.

Its not only holywood that ignores the reality, try finding people in your life everyday who can comfortably discuss death and grief - even those that have suffered it themselves tie it up in a box and put it away. I guess its too hard to carry around at the time and we need to box it up and put it away and only take it out when we have strength to deal with it.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:47

Default I agree, and as a film maker - I want to change this!

I think this is a really good point, and I agree completely.

I'm actually working on a short film, trying to show the other side to how families cope with death. I want to focus on the little things that people do in times like this.

I based it a lot off when I lost my dad at the age of eleven to a brain tumor.

Speaking of which I'm actually running a fundraiser at the moment to help make it. Take a look, and if you like it - donate and I'll feature you in the credits!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/200525
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:41

Also in ads and for example one that hits home with me, the cancer society or hospitals advertising showing wonderful looking (and always bald) cancer patients smiling brightly. It's as if they are advertising cancer and it's treatments as happy wonderful things. Anyone who's walked through a cancer ward knows the real story.
Old February 28th, 2013, 17:33

I feel as though the way death is portrayed in most movies desensitize people from knowing how death really should be humbly viewed and respected. Unless their path has brought them to experience it directly in their lives to truely understand; many have a hero view if watch action and some war movies or if you watch horror movies mayb a fear death because of how its shown in movies and on television shows them how it is so in thier minds they have a distorted view.