The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Suicide prevention > Suicide prevention
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 13th, 2007, 07:04
Administrator

Default How DO you give life meaning?

I've started this thread as this can be a big issue when you are feeling suicidal. Certainly, I remember that when I was suicidally depressed - for the best part of ten years - life held little meaning for me.

One of the things that helped me to recover was gradually attaching more meaning to life. In my case, I was lucky enough to attract new friends, loving pets who needed me to care for them, different work, new relationships, to the point where keeping on living was no longer a chore but actually, slowly and gradually, started to become a pleasure.

How have other readers found meaning in life? How have other people turned things around in their own lives? What advice could you give people who struggle to find any meaning in their day-to-day existence to encourage them to keep going?

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep: over 250 funeral poems, quotes and readings
If There's Anything I Can Do...: full of practical ways to help the bereaved
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:38

It might sound harsh but I think life, in itself, has little meaning.

It has whatever significance we give it, and I think the quality of our lives greatly depends on giving it some kind of meaning. For me, I realized that I need to feel useful so I am always helping people, both at work and in my personal life. This service is what gives my life its meaning and makes me feel valued.

Then again I am not a religious person. I imagine that people who believe in God might think differently.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:27
Administrator

Hi Carol, and welcome to the forum. I quite agree with you - it is essential to feel valued and helping others is one of the best ways of feeling valued.

"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself" said Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), and it's still just as true today.

Who could YOU help today?

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep: over 250 funeral poems, quotes and readings
If There's Anything I Can Do...: full of practical ways to help the bereaved
Old August 22nd, 2007, 22:30

My children, pets, family, and friends all give meaning to my life. I never know how much until a few months ago. The people who I thought were friends turned their backs on me and others who I didn't think cared were there when I needed them.
Old September 7th, 2007, 13:25

#1 in my life is my relationship with Christ. I enjoy a long loving relationship with my husband. I have 3 grown children, all have had issues within their lives, even though they were brought up in a happy home. Outside influences have shaped their perception of happiness, and what they strive for now is what their parents have enjoyed. But in all, our children, as with us, derive our happiness in life from the love of those around us. No matter what, family is what motivates us to keep on.
Old September 9th, 2007, 19:03

Default How do you give life meaning

I think lifr is whatever you make of it. Sure you will have bad times, but you always have to find something good in the bad.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:23

I think life does have meaning. I have a hard time believing that we are not here for no reason, you know? I like to help others and be a good wife to my husband.
Old September 14th, 2007, 13:25

I feel like I'm never alone. I fill my life with things, some are time wasters, but I'm busy. God is always there, and I truly believe that. My family is always there for me. I know not everyone has that, but God is always there, if nobody else is.
Old December 5th, 2007, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciestorrs View Post
How have other readers found meaning in life? How have other people turned things around in their own lives? What advice could you give people who struggle to find any meaning in their day-to-day existence to encourage them to keep going?
I agree with some of the other posters that what we get out of life is often what we put into it. I've noticed that I'm at my happiest when I'm doing things for others. My family and God... our pet... my work.. all those things are the "meaning of life" for me.
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:02

about 80% of my time i feel worthless, i feel that the world would be better off without me and i could go up and be with my dad but i wouldnt want to wish how i feel just now on other people