The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Religion and spirituality
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 30th, 2008, 13:39

My father died two years before my mom. For those two years I always felt my father's presence in the house and he was always by my mother. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and know that he was with her watching her as she slept.

One night his presence was very strong. The next morning my sister told me that she felt as if he was right in the apartment with us. I told her that she was probably right.

A month or so after he died my sister was having some medical problems. It was evening when she came back from the doctor's and it was dark out. She walked by a spot near the house where my dad used to sit and she heard him call her by the pet name he always used. She was frightened and ran into the house and told me.

I told her that it was probably him and that she shouldn't be afraid. He just wanted to tell her that he was around, watching out for her,

When my sister was operated on for colon cancer, two years ago, she told me that just before the operation she felt hands on her shoulder. I told her that it was our parents watching over her and trying to ease her fright. She cried when I told her that because she thought it was them too.
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachele View Post
What an experience! I am sorry for what you've been through with your loss of your dad and the car wreck. Sounds like a blessing occurred with it. It was comforting to hear you describe that when you were near death, you seemed to be looking on when a light surrounded you with protection and brought you back safely. Do you feel any differently about death having that experience? I know it's recent, so if it's something you don't want to answer, I understand. I'm glad that you, your sister and the others came out ok.
I can remember somewhat my head hitting the cold water and coming to---and I can remember thinking "water? water? I'm in water? I'm in water!" and then seeing air bubbles going up past my legs and thinking that I was upside down. BUT in between somewhere I can remember thinking--"so this is what it's like to die? I'll find out what Dad went through"

The light that I experienced I can't really describe but the closest thing I can think of is a soft lamplight that has a goldish yellow cast to the lightshade and therefore the light holds a warm cast. It's like I realized what it was and felt like I surrendered to it and in so doing --the light took me and held me. Does that make sense? It is the only way I can describe it. I wasn't frightened of the light or the glow---I was frightened of the car and seeing it from the side. I can still see it in my mind and thinking "this is cool" and that is when I was immediately right back in the car.

I'm not really scared of death. I know it will be like slipping into another world. What I am scared of is suffering before I die.

Also when I was a small child a dentist gave me too much gas to put me out and he thought he had killed me---I couldn't have been very old---I remember telling my Mom later that "I had been to the moon and back".

So I'm not scared--it is more like a peaceful feeling---like waking up from a long nap and feeling rested and feeling good. Not scarey at all.
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:27

Your experience was something and it makes me feel good that you didn't really feel any fear. The fact that you're not afraid of death proves that. You're right about the suffering before you die. That is the scary part about death.
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:24

Hi Shay I lost my last message, my name is chrissie new on the block. Yes I believe I have seen my hubby in dreams and once in a dream of heaven, also I have picked up his smell whilst sleeping on the sofa. I started to sniff everything incase it was my clothing or something. Also I believe he has stood by my bed sometimes as I slept, unless it was an angel, I wasn't afraid but couldn't wake up to speak with him, not sure if that's allowed. Hope this helps.

Chrissie. God bless.
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:45

Hi skatss, I wanted to say thank you for sharing such a precious story with us, I am sorry for the loss of your precious mum and dad. We don't know everything do we, there are mystories that we will never understand in this life. One thing I do believe though and that is that love can never die it just goes on with us. And strong family love shall never be broken, it is eternal and what a glorious re-union it will be when we all meet again with those we love and have gone ahead of us. Thanks again for your sharing.

God bless
chrissie. xxx
Old June 9th, 2012, 18:04

Location: Barrow Upon Humber, a village in North Lincolnshire.

Hello,

I thought I had a strong faith in God ( or whatever you choose to call Him/Her). But as my husbands cancer began to take hold of him, and I watched him suffering, my faith began to dwindle. He was in a bed in the living room and I slept on the couch because he used to forget he couldn't walk, and get out of bed and then he'd fall down. He was just like a very old man and he was only 56. One night in particular, I couldn't sleep and knew that I was losing my faith. I didn't like the feeling and it upset me. This went on for a few hours, and then I noticed my husband Drews wallet on the side. For some unknown reason, I picked it up and opened it ( I knew there wasn't any money in it!). In it I found a small card which I must have given him years ago, and he'd kept it, which surprised me. On one side was a picture of a red rose, and on the other side it said ' Love is patient, Love is Kind, Love never fails'. There was my answer, and it was no coincidence that I looked in there that night, I was meant to. I cried and prayed, and it helped me so much. It was like a sign to me. Drew never had a faith so I was very surprised that he'd kept that card, but I was pleased that he had
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:46

i know this thread is from some years ago but they have been comforting to read they are all writen for us to go over again in the future
immediately after darren died my touch lamp at the side of my bed came on in the middle of the night at first it freaked me out but when i realised it was him my heart lept with joy i prayed and sat in bed talking to darren through the night sometimes i would wake up in the morning the lamp was on and i hadn't woken up this happened for weeks and what a comfort it was to me i told everyone darren visited me every night they thought i was mad until the day i found out the lamp had a loose wire and it wasn't him at all i cried all day when i found out
i lie in bed and will darren to come but i haven't had any experiences but i do feel his love perhaps he managed to tamper with the wire and it was him all along
love hazel
Old June 10th, 2012, 15:56

Location: Barrow Upon Humber, a village in North Lincolnshire.
Smile

Hi Hazel,

I have read that it can affect the electricity when someone passes over, something to do with us all being energy. My computer stopped working just after Drew passed, then my television It wasn't fun with no distractions! Ofcourse, Drew used to fix everything for me and so I was stuck.

I asked Drew to come back to me if he got the chance, but he told me to shut up - typical of him But the first night after he passed, I had a vision of him leaning over the bed and kissing me gently on the lips. The next day I wasn't sure if it had been a dream or real - somewhere inbetween I think and I'm sure it was him saying goodbye to me. He hasn't returned and I remember crying and begging him to appear to me, after he passed. I kept asking for signs but never saw them, but as someone pointed out to me, I was in such a state that I probably would miss them anyway. I do sometimes feel his presence close to me though and at times, hear him laughing at some of the things I do or say I'm just glad that he's still laughing, and he'll be laughing even more with my dad up there too xxx

Kahlil Gibran.
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:40

Death Where Is Thy Sting?

Although we are eternal beings who cannot die and even though in truth there is no death, to say: ‘Death is nothing!’ would belittle its significance. What we earthlings perceive as death, when someone departs from this plane, is but a change and a transformation into a different state of life, which every soul has to undergo at the end of each lifetime. I believe that eventually everybody will reach the level of awareness where they can accept that this is so; we shall thus save ourselves a great deal of pain and suffering. You don’t have to take my word for it that this is true. How about trying the following for yourself?

First find a quiet space where you can be sure that no-one will disturb you for a reasonable length of time. The best and safest way of doing this is by first asking your Guardian Angel to stand by you, to guide and protect you and show you the way. Then make yourself as comfortable as you can, light a candle, look into its flame, centre yourself by listening to the sound of your breathing, and feel how you are becoming still. Only when you are good and ready start to imagine that your loved one is drawing close and wishes to communicate with you. Focus on your heart and listen to the words of comfort that come to you from there, safe in the knowledge that these are not messages from some ‘other world out there somewhere’ but from your own heart, where your loved presently dwells.

Having done this for a moment or two, read the words that start at the following paragraph. Don’t think about them or evaluate them, but focus your attention on the world of your feelings and listen to the responses that come from your heart; they are your inner guidance. This is what your loved one wishes to tell you:

‘I have not gone from you. I have merely slipped onto different level of life and that is very much like going into another room. The world of spirit is not some place else; it is not ‘up there’, but an integral part of your present environment, the material world. Although I no longer dwell on that plane, I am still myself and you are you; we always shall be. We are eternal beings who cannot die and whatever we have ever been to each other, we still are. The love between us does not need to die through my departure. The great wisdom of the Divine has decreed that, on the contrary, through the experience of death human love should grow stronger and deeper – if two souls so wish.

‘That’s why I ask you to call me by my old familiar names, let them be the well-known words they always were and say them without effort. Speak to me the easy way you used to do and let there be no difference in the sound of your voice. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Enjoy the jokes that made us laugh and express your amusement the way we always did together. Play with me and smile at me. Think of me and pray for me in the manner you always did. Never doubt for a moment that I can hear you, that I feel your love, and that I shall always be with you, wherever you are.

‘Life is eternal and the human spirit is immortal. In truth, there is no death and life consists of absolute and unbroken continuity. On the inner level all is one, and you always have been as much part of me as I am of you. Nothing needs to change between you and me, just because I have gone through the great transformation before you. If we both so wish, our relationship can remain the same it always was, and between you and me life can continue to be everything it has meant to us.

‘My departure from the physical plane was no accident. It was meant to happen exactly when it did. For your sake – not mine – make an effort to accept this, the way I have done. And don’t believe anyone who tries to tell you that because I am out of your sight, I should also be out of your mind. That can only happen, if that is what you want. And if you still yearn for me, the death of my physical body is going to present us with many opportunities for coming closer to each other than it was ever possible before, when we both still dwelled in physicality.

‘You can find me and be with me, whenever you want to, because I shall be alive in your heart, for as long as you want me to be there. In the corners of your mind I am always waiting for your call. I shall never be further away from you than a thought and you can get in touch with me whenever you want. It’s as simple as that. I shall always listen to you when you need me and when you call me, I will come to help and guide you. In spite of all that, never forget that you and I now each have different lessons to attend to – you in the material world, and I in the world of light. Therefore, let us also give each other the necessary space and time, so that when we do meet we can come closer to each other than we ever did before, to share precious moments – the way we used to do. All life rests safely in God’s loving hands and all is well. God and the Angels are constantly with you and with me. Nothing has changed, I forever will be I and you in all Eternity shall remain you.’

From ‘Comfort for the Bereaved’

With love and light,
Aquarius

Aquarius
Author of ‘The Random Jottings of a Stargazer’
And the Astro Files
http://www.raysofwisdom.com/
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:20

re posted x