The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Dealing with death > Death by suicide
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick-r-treat View Post
I think I always felt a lot of pressure from kids at school. They don't realize what they are doing to each other. I tried to tell my daughter once she got to college it would be so much different, but it was still very hard. There should be a better way to get them through it.

What you say about high school is so very true. I know that when my sons were in high school it was my main goal to get them through the experience as quickly as possible and with as little trauma as possible.
Old July 6th, 2007, 18:10

I have never personally considered suicide, but I have dealt with depression. I try to imagine that pain being expanded, being bad enough for me to want to end my life. I just can't really comprehend the level of mental anguish someone is going through. I also agree that there is such an enormous amount of pressure on kids going through adolescence. For someone who is trying to establish an identity and a sense of self, to have that sense of self attacked every day by other kids is so difficult. Also, outside of bullying at school, I think teens are in such a hurry to grow up that they rush into adult situations that they really cant handle. These kids think they're all grown up, but they're really not emotionally equipped to deal with these incredibly adult issues. Especially in the case of romantic relationships. I developed a strong sense of self and my own identity rather early I think. It always struck me as strange when boys I dated talked like their entire existance was defined by me. I think that's a rather common attitude among young people when they're dating, and when you let someone else define your identity, that creates an incredibly dangerous situation when that relationship ends.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
What you say about high school is so very true. I know that when my sons were in high school it was my main goal to get them through the experience as quickly as possible and with as little trauma as possible.
High school can be a very positive experience for some, and for others it can sort of break their will.

I think that it's harder now than when I was in high school, because of the possibility of the lockdowns due to the fact we're now living in the post-Columbine era.
Old July 16th, 2007, 19:29

High school was hideous for me. I wasn't out as a lesbian then like I am now, but everybody just sort of knew, and they were on me about it all the time, calling me names, pushing me around in the halls, threatening to rape me or even kill me. One night one of the jocks found my pet cat outside and killed it. (I know it was him because he bragged about it.)

Now, you know how I am about cats. I only weighed about 110 pounds at the time, but it took three teachers and two classmates to pull me off him, and he looked like he'd gone the distance with Muhammad Ali. From then on, everyone was a little afraid of me and left me alone.

I always smile a little inside when someone says something like, "You always seem so calm," or "I can't imagine you losing your temper." If only they knew!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
High school was hideous for me. I wasn't out as a lesbian then like I am now, but everybody just sort of knew, and they were on me about it all the time, calling me names, pushing me around in the halls, threatening to rape me or even kill me. One night one of the jocks found my pet cat outside and killed it. (I know it was him because he bragged about it.)

Now, you know how I am about cats. I only weighed about 110 pounds at the time, but it took three teachers and two classmates to pull me off him, and he looked like he'd gone the distance with Muhammad Ali. From then on, everyone was a little afraid of me and left me alone.

I always smile a little inside when someone says something like, "You always seem so calm," or "I can't imagine you losing your temper." If only they knew!

I am going to say something that might horrify others, so apologies in advance.

I am glad you jumped him and I hope you pulled out some of his hair!
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:57

A few years ago, a beloved teacher in our community committed suicide. This was devastating for the students. Particularly the way he did it. He doused himself in gasoline and caught himself on fire. He was seen walking down the road and when the fire was extinguised he just kept saying he was sorry.
What could he have been thinking? My aunt said that he must have felt that he did something so awful and he needed to punish himself.
I can't imagine how he could do such a thing to himself.
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:35

i have attempted suicide on sevral occasions but in febuary of this year i did it and came very close to death it has scared my a lot and i now realise that altough i was going through hell at the time it would have killed my parents as they have already lost one child i am now trying to move on in my life and it has opened my eyes to what it can do to your friends and family that have been left behind
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:28

When I was younger I was at a party with friends, we got talking to this lovely guy, who shared some drinks with us, and had a good chat for hours it seemed... 2 days later it came on the news that he had committed suicide. I only met him that one night, but that guy left something of himself with me forever. A reminder that no matter what someone appears to be on the inside that they may be feeling something worse than we can imagine May he rest in peace
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:18

Default too many suicides

I feel really bad for my daughter who is 25 and knows three or four people who have committed suicide. One was a very close friend who would drink a little too much, and mention suicide, and one night when she had drank quite a bit, she followed through with it. My daughter called me on the phone, shocked, and though I had never met her friend, I still cried. She was young and pretty, and you would have thought she had every thing to live for. There was some sort of abuse in her childhood. And in this case, I think the alcohol had a lot to do with it.
- One of the other suicides was the live in boyfriend of another close friend of my daughter's.. both young women were very much taken by surprise.. another, was a boyfriend a year later, of the first young lady who committed suicide. I met him once, when he had dropped by for a moment, just in time to help me dig my car out of the snow at the end of my driveway, which was so nice of him..
- It's so terribly sad, and so horrible when anyone does it, but especially these young people..
Old December 14th, 2007, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick-r-treat View Post
I just can't even imagine what it is like for someone to actually take the step on doing this! I don't think I would have enough courage, no matter how bad things were for me.
Same here. I've thought about it lots when I was younger, but I have never had the courage to do it. I know of someone who did do it, but it was bc he went insane. He was a paint huffer, and it fried his brain. He thought people were there with him. He was trying to get high by cutting off his air supply until right before he passed out, then letting it back so it would be like a high. He was doing it by hanging himself. He thought there were people there to let him down, but there weren't he died. This is the guy I lost my virginity too. I just get this weird feeling thinking about it...I don't know what to think, bc I was told to hate him, but I loved him...Very confusing stuff.