The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a friend
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:38

Default Draw Closer to God...

Coping With Grief
“All his [Jacob’s] sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. ‘No,’ he said, ‘in mourning will I go down to the grave to my son.’ So his father wept for him.”—GENESIS 37:35, The Holy Bible—New International Version.

THE patriarch Jacob grieved deeply over the loss of his son. He expected to grieve until the day he died. Like Jacob, you may feel that the pain of losing a loved one is so deep that it will never go away. Does such intense grief necessarily indicate a lack of faith in God? Definitely not!

The Bible portrays Jacob as a man of faith. Along with his grandfather Abraham and his father, Isaac, Jacob is commended for his outstanding faith. (Hebrews 11:8, 9, 13) Why, on one occasion, he even wrestled all night with an angel to get a blessing from God! (Genesis 32:24-30) Evidently, Jacob was a deeply spiritual man. What, then, can we learn from Jacob’s grief? Deep feelings of grief and sorrow when a loved one dies are not incompatible with strong faith in God. Grief is the normal and natural response to the loss of someone we love.

What Is Grief?

Grief can affect us in various ways, but for many the overriding feeling is one of intense emotional pain. Consider the experience of Leonardo, who was 14 years old when his father suddenly died from cardiorespiratory problems. Leonardo will never forget the day his aunt broke the news to him. At first, he refused to believe that it was true. He saw his father’s body at the funeral, but it all seemed strangely unreal. For about six months, Leonardo was unable to cry. Often, he found himself waiting for his father to come home from work. It took about a year before the full impact of the loss sank in. When it did, he felt terribly alone. Ordinary things—such as coming home to an empty house—reminded him of his father’s absence. At such times, he often broke down and cried. How he missed his father!
As Leonardo’s experience well illustrates, grief can be intense. The good news is that recovery is possible. However, it may take some time. Just as a severe physical wound takes time to heal, so it is with bereavement. Recovering from grief may take months, a few years, or even longer. But the acute pain you feel in the beginning will lessen in time, and life will gradually seem less bleak and meaningless.
In the meantime, grief is said to be a necessary part of the healing process and of learning to adapt to the new situation. There is an empty space where before there was a living human. We need to adjust to life without that person. Grief may provide a necessary emotional release. Of course, not everyone grieves in exactly the same way. One thing, though, seems to hold true: Repressing your grief can be harmful mentally, emotionally, and physically. How, then, can you express your grief in healthy ways? The Bible contains some practical advice.

Coping With Grief

Talking about your feelings can bring a measure of relief

Many bereaved ones have found that talking can be a helpful release. Notice, for example, the words of the Bible character Job, who suffered the loss of all ten of his children and endured other tragedies. He said: “My soul certainly feels a loathing toward my life. I will give vent to my concern about myself. I will speak in the bitterness of my soul!” (Job 1:2, 18, 19; 10:1) Notice that Job needed to “give vent” to his concerns. How would he do so? “I will speak,” he explained.

Paulo, who lost his mother, says: “One of the things that has helped me is to talk about my mother.” So talking about your feelings to a trusted friend can bring a measure of relief. (Proverbs 17:17) After losing her mother, Yone asked her Christian brothers to visit her more often. “Talking helped to ease the pain,” she recalls. You too may find that putting your feelings into words and sharing them with a sympathetic listener will make it easier to deal with them.

Writing can be helpful in expressing grief

Writing can also be a helpful release. Some who find it difficult to talk about their feelings may find it easier to express themselves in writing. Following the death of Saul and Jonathan, the faithful man David wrote a deeply mournful song in which he poured out his sorrow. This emotional dirge eventually became part of the Bible book of Second Samuel.—2 Samuel 1:17-27.

Reading about the resurrection hope can be a real source of comfort

Crying may also serve as an emotional release. “For everything there is an appointed time, even . . . a time to weep,” says the Bible. (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4) To be sure, the death of someone we love is “a time to weep.” Tears of grief are nothing to be embarrassed about. The Bible contains many examples of faithful men and women who openly expressed their grief by weeping. (Genesis 23:2; 2 Samuel 1:11, 12) Jesus Christ “gave way to tears” when he neared the tomb of his dear friend Lazarus, who had recently died.—John 11:33, 35.
Working through grief takes patience, for you may feel that you are on an emotional roller coaster. Remember that you do not have to be ashamed of your tears. Many faithful individuals have found that shedding tears of grief is a normal and necessary part of the healing process.

Draw Close to God

The Bible tells us: “Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.” (James 4:8) One of the principal ways to draw close to God is through prayer. Do not underestimate its value! The Bible makes this comforting promise: “Jehovah is near to those that are broken at heart; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.” (Psalm 34:18) It also assures us: “Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself, and he himself will sustain you.” (Psalm 55:22) Think about this. As we noted earlier, many have found it helpful to talk about their feelings with a trusted friend. Would it not be even more helpful to pour out your feelings to the God who promises to comfort our hearts?—2 Thessalonians 2:16, 17.
Paulo, who was mentioned earlier, commented: “When I just couldn’t endure the pain anymore and felt that I could not cope, I would get down on my knees and pray to God. I begged him to help me.” Paulo is convinced that his prayers made a difference. You too may find that in response to your persistent prayers, “the God of all comfort” will give you the courage and the strength to cope.—2 Corinthians 1:3, 4; Romans 12:12.

www.watchtower.org
christiancgonzalo@gmail.com
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:15

Default best friends

I have number of friends but only one of them is my best friend. I share each and every thing with her, she is my childhood friend.

Kaddie
Senior Consultant
Recovery Bull Software
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:38

Default On the Wings of Prayer

ON THE WINGS OF PRAYER
Just close your eyes and open your heart,
And pray that your worries and cares may depart.
Yield yourself to Mother and Father above,
And let Them hold you secure, in Their love.

As life on Earth grows more involved,
Many problems arise that we cannot solve.
But God only asks us to do our best,
So that the Angels can take over and do the rest.

So, next time you’re discouraged and feeling blue,
Know that one door is always open for you;
It’s the door to the house of prayer,
Our Highest Self is always waiting to meet us there.

And this house is no farther away
Than any quiet spot, where we can kneel and pray.
Our heart and soul becomes a temple, when God is there
And we place ourselves in Its loving care.

It hears every prayer and answers each one,
And any burden that is too heavy for us alone to bear,
Can thus be lightened on the wings of a prayer.

Anon.
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Words & Prayers of Comfort & Healing’

With love and light,
Aquarius

Aquarius
Author of ‘The Random Jottings of a Stargazer’
And the Astro Files
http://www.raysofwisdom.com/
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:39

Default Data recovery services

Hi
I feel sad after reading this forum and tear is continuously coming from my eyes. I also want to share one sad thing with all of you that when I was in sixth class I lost my best friend due to mistake of some uncle who was driving a car. On that day I didn’t eat the food and the whole night I was cried for my friend. This time I am also crying while writing this post.
Thanks for listening my words.
photo recovery
Old July 1st, 2011, 23:40

Hi,i ve limited number of friends and i didnt break up with any of my friends..
Old July 12th, 2011, 14:15

Default Blessed Are Those Who Mourn

The Tears Of Your World
‘I am He who comforts you, who are you to be afraid?’

You are on the Earth plane so that in the fullness of time, every human soul in its own right, can grow into a seeker of the wisdom of My truth, rather than gullibly swallowing – as you were required to do in previous ages – what others place before you. Each must go in search of their own understanding that expands their consciousness, until it has fully evolved into an integral part of Mine. The way back home into the conscious awareness of the oneness with Me is a journey of a thousand miles and many thousands of lifetimes. Tears have always been one of its most essential and valuable ingredients.

Not for nothing I told you in St. Matthew 5:4: ‘Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.’ You may often have wondered how this should be. The Bible speaks of a comforter who in due course will come to you, but in truth he has forever been with you. I am the one who comforts you. How do I do it? By dwelling inside you! Since time immemorial, during periods of struggle and trauma, no matter of what nature, I have been with you. When you have finished thrashing about and sit down to have a good weep, with the help of your tears I am the one who brings you comfort and healing. As crying causes a chemical reaction in your system that releases endorphins into your bloodstream, it flows into every cell of your physical body.

Hence the ancient folk wisdom that crying is good for your health, which is confirmed by your scientific researchers. In every part of your world crying has constantly been one of the main outlets for your earthly self of the inner pain and suffering of your soul. Up to recently all you knew about crying was that traumatic events, prolonged stress, loneliness, loss, pain and frequently just simple daily upsets and struggles can trigger it. Tears of rage and frustration, impotence and helplessness, remorse and guilt are as much part of the gamut of the world of your feelings, as those of happiness and joy. This is one of the great paradoxes of Earth life which shows how closely related all your feelings are.

The more you evolve spiritually, the better you grasp that, in the final analysis, every pain and sorrow that comes to you is at the same time an essential part of your joy, because in times of suffering you grow closer to Me and My world, your true home. Those who already have grown sufficiently in wisdom and understanding no longer begrudge their tears, but welcome them as My harbingers of healing and peace. If you suffer from a spiritual guilt complex, let go of it. You are not some kind of worm or miserable sinner, as some to this day would like to make you believe. You are nothing of the kind. You are My beloved children, young Gods in the making. As all manner of evolutionary lessons had to be imbibed by each one of you, individually and collectively, your pathway up to now has been an extremely tough and stormy one.

Unbeknown to you, I have never left you. I have always guided and protected you from within the very core of your own being. My Angels and your Masters on the higher and highest levels of life are watching every step you make. Whenever one of you reaches out to them, they are only too happy to help – for those are My instructions. I have never left you and your world without a witness of My eternal truths. Through a general lack of understanding much of it has been misinterpreted and abused for personal gains. The further you to forward into the enlightenment of the Aquarian Age, there will no longer be any need for tolerating this, because increasing numbers of you are ready to receive My wisdom directly from me.

You are as much part of Me as I am of you. I am merciful and I love you. I do not enjoy your painful experiences any more than you do. I have never left you and will in all Eternity be with you. Whenever traumatic events cannot be avoided in your life because that is the only way for you to learn a certain lesson, all you have to do is reach out for the helping hands of the Angels and Me. Your own life alone can teach you total and utter trust in Me and My truth that I will not fail you and that I am always there for you.

Aquarius
And the Astro Files
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:38

I have had several really lovely close, and best friends, we travelled far together through our youth and also met often, they are married now and obviously have a life now that is hard for them, with young families and life in general, but we do stay in contact, and they helped me through a lot when my life turned upside down, I like to think of them more like the sisters that I never had.

Tina.
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:10

Hi..............
I have 2 best friends and I share everything with both friends. They are my best friends from childhood. We had studying together. I never broke my friendship in future with all my friends. I love my friends.
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:23

All our friendships are well worth nurturing because good ones are going to last beyond our present lifetime. We shall bring them with us into all coming ones and they will be helpful to us then, just the same as they are now.

With love - Aquarius

Aquarius
And the Astro Files