The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a friend
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 3rd, 2007, 18:47

Default Good Friends Death

I lost a friend to breast cancer not to long ago. She was only 29 years old and her death seems to be constantly on my mind. It just happened so fast and she was so young. She left behind two young sons and a husband. Her sons are the same age as my two and it just brought to the forefront for me that you just never know what will happen.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 21:53

I am sorry for your loss. I too have lost a couple of friends suddenly from things that just don't seem like they would happen to someone so young. It stands to remind us just how precious life is, and it can change in an instant.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 22:16

I lost 2 friends last year, both barely 21 years old. I didn't get to know them long, due to conflicting schedules but we tried to make plans. They were the most understanding people I knew out of my circle of friends and places I used to hang out, and they actually saw through appearance and cared about people.
I have a tattoo commemorating both. It would not be there if they hadn't been so kind to me and made me feel so much better about myself.
Old June 4th, 2007, 21:22

Just goes to show, you just never know when you might lose someone, so you have to enjoy them while you can.
Old June 6th, 2007, 16:24

Thank you all for your nice thought. I have a reminder of this friend with me always because she was the one that went with me to get my first and only tattoo. When I see my tattoo it brings of memories of her and the fun we had that day.
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:36

Tater03, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you must be thinking about your friend a lot and missing her very much. It also seems to me like friends are kind of the "forgotten mourners." Everyone expects the family to be sad, but even if you were as close to your friend as you were to a sister, the grief of a friend isn't much acknowledged. Thank you for telling us your friend's story, and your own...
Old June 28th, 2007, 14:02

I am so sorry for your loss. This is only the second time I've heard of someone in their 20s having breast cancer; a friend of mine was diagnosed when she was 22 or 24(?) and she is a survivor, but she is also a reminder that it doesn't matter your age.

I have a lump in one of my breasts, and even after a doctor referred me for a mammogram, the people at the mammogram place told me I was too young (I was 24/25 at the time). Instead, I've had multiple ultrasounds throughout the last few years, to watch it (I'm almost 29).

I've heard of young women getting breast cancer and living in close proximity to factories and power plants. It's really scary! And I'm a believer in that some of the hormones injected into the food we eat might be a cause as well.

Cancer is a horrible thing. I just lost a friend 3 weeks ago, to a rare stomach cancer usually found in African-American men over the age of 50. My friend was 33, and left behind 2 young children. I'm still grieving over this because it was so sudden; she was diagnosed only 3 weeks before she died! She'd been hurting for sometime, though.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope we can find solace in this forum.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
Thank you all for your nice thought. I have a reminder of this friend with me always because she was the one that went with me to get my first and only tattoo. When I see my tattoo it brings of memories of her and the fun we had that day.
That's interesting. When I see someone with a tattoo, I usually wouldn't guess it had so much meaning. That is nice.

My wife's sister got a tattoo in memory of one of her friends who passed away. Apparently they had always talked about getting tattoos together, but never did so now the tattoo is very meaningful.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:48

I am so sorry for your loss.

One thing that has come from my experiences is that I tell my husband I love him as often as I can. One never knows when it might be the last time you get the chance.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
One thing that has come from my experiences is that I tell my husband I love him as often as I can. One never knows when it might be the last time you get the chance.
I do this, too. Sometimes I think my husband thinks I am just saying it to say it, but I'm not. I mean it so deeply every time I say "I love you."