The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Pet loss > Coping with the loss of a pet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 15th, 2012, 13:08

Default Losing Holly

I am new to things like this, but wanted to know that I'm not alone in feeling so empty and alone with the loss of my dog. She was nearly 12 and I had to have her put to sleep last Friday because she was so ill. I sobbed my heart out and I still feel so close to tears when I think of her even though I know it was the best and kindest thing to do. Since then, I have felt so low and unable to raise a smile and I sometimes feel that I cant go on without her. I hope that she was happy with me, that she had a good and happy life, and I hope she knew how much she was loved and is missed. I have lost my father and brother and can honestly say, the grief at losing Holly feels just as deep. Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling like this.
Old February 15th, 2012, 13:57

I'm so so sorry to hear about your beautiful dog. The loss of a family dog is without doubt devastating. There is nothing I can say to take away your pain, but I do totally understand. Go easy on yourself, this is a very real bereavement, very sad, devastating and distressing loss for you. They are such loyal, devoted and trusting creatures which is why I think it hurts us so when we lose them. I hope that your family are taking great care of you at this time. Only time will help heal you and you must content yourself, with the knowledge that you did give him a wonderful life, he must have been a very happy, and lucky dog to have had your love everyday throughout his life. My heart goes out to you.

Take care (((hugs)))
Ann-Rachel

Last edited by annrachel : February 16th, 2012 at 15:06.
Old February 15th, 2012, 15:45

Unhappy

Thank you, its nice to know that people dont think im being silly , but it is such a real loss
Old February 23rd, 2012, 13:34

Red face

Holly came home today, so sad bringing her home in her little casket but all I can think about are the good times, I am getting better about losing her altho it's the little things that break me, coming in to an empty house, no-one coming to greet me and being so pleased to see me, no little dog sitting at the kitchen door when I get the cheese out, she loved cheese! And somehow seemed to know when I was getting it out!
She's home now, with her family
Old February 27th, 2012, 14:15

Default I very sorry for your loss animal- lover

You should not feel Embarrassed for feeling grief for your loss. Pets are a window to our soul they give us much needed unconditional love and never judge us. They relate to us on a different level then any other relationship in our life... Your relationship with Holly would be the same as anyone human. She was part of your family for the 12+years and like a child for you. So you should never discount what you are feeling in your grief .

The bottom Line…… is when you lose a significant person or being from your life… whatever the relationship... It hurts you to your core being… and nothing will take away from your right to feel the loss and grieve the absence of that person or being in your life...

Each relationship holds a very special and unique significance to us all and each relationship made different contributions to our life... so what we have lost is not the same... so is what we miss...we grieve differently.

So please animal-lover I hope you can find peace in your loss of your beloved Holly.

I wish you Peace

Cal821
Yet no person is really alone;
those who live no more echo still within our thoughts and words,
and what they did has become woven into what we are.

I wish you peace and a level path on your journey...

Cal821

Last edited by cal821 : February 28th, 2012 at 11:13.
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:05

Hello dear friend I am so sorry for the loss of your little Holly, it is so hard for us to lose someone so precious to us. Maybe thats why God gave us pets to love, their love is unconditional it's it? All they give us is their love, and friendship and are always ready to give more. I am an animal lover, I have had many pussycats, all of them bonkers in some way or another and I have all their ashes and have given instruction in my will for them to be planted with me and my late husbands ashes in a garden so we will be together. Some of us believe that one day this earth, our home will made new some day and all that has been lost will be restored. That is all that God made which includes all of His creation, that's our pets too.
Dear friend please take heart, your little Holly will one day say to you, " what took you so long to get here mum? and they only have grass here to eat, but it tastes great" If you want to chat, I am here to listen and I will say a prayer for you and Holly and all of His precious animals who need His help in this world.

Byr for now.

chrissie/