The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:20

Default cremation in TX

i don't know if laws differ state by state, but the laws concerning cremation in TX caught us off guard when my mom died.

here's how it works there:
after the doc signed her death certificate, the funeral home came to the hospital and picked up her body. The next day, we went to the funeral home to make arrangements. We had to sign sooooo many papers for the cremation. And then there's a 3 day waiting period. One of the things we had to sign said, "Cremation is a non-reversible procedure." I swear!! I sat there giggling hysterically. The funeral director was not amused, but I could not help myself. Obviously, someone was sued at some time.... After the 3 day wait, they cremate. Then the funeral home has to go pick up the cooled ashes.

All in all, it was a week from death to picking up her ashes. Tuesday to Tuesday.

And of course, they wanted to sell us some nice, pretty urn. But we were burying her ashes next to my dad, so we declined and bought ourselves a pretty decorated box and put the bag of ashes in there to be buried.

Also, if you're traveling with ashes, contact your airline ahead of time so they can tell you what to do.

I had to get a paper from the funeral home that stated i was carrying human remains. At security, i had to tell them what i was putting thru the x-ray and show them the paper. They scanned the ashes twice. But they were very respectful and nice about it all.
Old January 5th, 2008, 16:07

That's a really interesting story, and I learned a lot about cremation that I did not know before. It is a bit silly that they make sure you know that it's not a procedure that can be reverse, but I guess something must have happened in the past to give them a reason for it.
Old January 12th, 2008, 00:00

Wow, someone would sue over a dead body? That's so odd.

It's not like an abortion or something. The person IS dead.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:06

I'm surprised that the funeral director seemed to take exception to your reaction to the waiver you were signing.

I would have thought he/she would have welcomed some levity at an otherwise sad time.