The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 1st, 2011, 01:42

Default Need advice

My grandfather died 3yrs ago. He outlived all his siblings. His parents are buried in a private mausoleum to which there are two keys, the cemetary has one & the family gets one. Grandpa's brother had it & after he passed away his daughters gave it to my grandfather. My grandparents took me every year for as long as I can remember to clean inside of it. I always told him I wanted the key when he wasnt with us anymore so I can continue taking care of it. He gave me the key about a yr before he passed. Now his nieces want the key back because they said their father had it and they gave it to him. I never knew my great grandparents but his mom died when I was being born. I always felt as if there is a meaning to that. I feel like my grandfather was the last of their kids & he had e right to have the key and that it was his decision who should have the key when he was gone and that person was me. I made a promise to him to continue to take care of it and I don't want to break my promise. Nobody else in the family ever expressed a desire to do it. Am I wrong? Should I give it to them? I don't want to argue with my family but its a tradition I always did with my grandparents & I feel that it meant alot to him that I continue on with it now that hes gone.
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:46

Shalom in Yeshua Ginahunt3, I am sorry a key is causing so much tension in your family. I cannot understand why it is so important to the parties concerned. The reason I say this is that apart from the memories it triggers, it is just a memorial. The souls of those buried there are not resident there.

Legally I would think that it belongs to you, but again is it worth fight over? Why not share the it.

I will pray that your all resolve you problems together.
May God bless you
Tom