The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Dealing with death > Sudden, accidental or violent death
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 23rd, 2007, 20:52

Default Teen accident

My sister's stepdaugter is in hospital right now, not expected to live, because of a stupid accident. She is very young, only fifteen years old. This is so awful! My sister and her husband just seem so lost. They literally forget to eat and don't even seem to be able to cope with anything. I'm trying my best to just keep up the house chores and make sure the essentials are taken care of and just letting them deal on their own, but I hate to see them hurting so.
Old August 25th, 2007, 00:43

Default To Priscilla

Priscilla, one of the hardest things in the world is to watch something like what your sister and her husband are going through and knowing there is nothing you can do to make them feel better.

I've been through some things in my life, and I've seen, though, how when we're going through something Nature numbs us; so we just kind of go through the motions. Even though we're not completely numb, we're also not completely feeling it all either.

Keep doing what you're doing to help your sister. If you're someone who prays, pray more now. If you're not someone who usually prays, maybe try now. Remind yourself that some people believe everything happens for some reason we'll never know.

It wasn't a child, but when my father was in the hospital after a heart attack (before he eventually passed away) I, too, forgot to eat. Its normal for people's appetites to disappear and for them to forget to eat. Don't be too concerned about that right now.

Pray for a miracle. You never know... and if one doesn't come, you won't be all that shocked by that.
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:26

Thank you Azaleaeight. This is helpful and comforting. The girl is actually still alive. She has lived longer, so far, than anyone has expected. My sister and her family have been on the church's prayer chain since we first heard. Whether they expect a miracle or not, it comforts the family to hear this.
Old August 28th, 2007, 19:35

I share the hopes and prayers for a miracle in the case of this young girl.

And I think there's excellent advice in the various areas of the forum here, for the times when we will need to grieve.
Old September 9th, 2007, 20:57

Just to update here, she is still alive! She has even been brought out of the drug-induced coma for a few minutes at a time (it was a very bad accident, they do not want her to move at all and she is in very very bad shape, so she is kept in a coma as much as possible.). She has opened her eyes and seems to recognize her mom and dad. She is still a far far away from recovery, but each day she lives, improves her chances of survival.
Old September 10th, 2007, 18:28

My heart goes out to you! I know how painful this can be. We had a family out at our church, that their daughter suffered suddenly from an appendix attack. Even the doctors said it was amazing that she survived it. But the whole church prayed and she came out of it veryt well. You just never know!
Old September 11th, 2007, 14:39

Thanks Sunnycharacter, yours is an uplifting reply. My biggest concern right now is that her parents and siblings can get themselves together. It's just all so surreal we don't know what to expect next.
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:59

My heart goes out to you and your family. How awful to have a loved one close to death after a senseless accident. But don't give up! People do make amazing recoveries, and I'll be hoping that your sister's stepdaughter will be one of those people. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:45

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and kind words. Things are kind of at a standstill right now. She is still living and still healing and still not brain dead (as far as the doctors can tell). Now it is just a waiting game. But everyday is new hope.
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:10

A new update:
A ray of sunshine and just utter utter amazement:
She has been moved out of ICU and has improved quite a lot! She is pulling through okay.