The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 8th, 2012, 15:47

Smile Need advice for obit language for whole body donation

I'm an optimistic 71 year old male who was diagnosed with a potentially life threatening illness last October. I'm having a procedure on January 10 that could cause my premature death. I have decided to donate my whole body to science. The service will send my spouse creamated returns at a future date.

What is appropriate language for obituary where a person has elected whole body donation followed by a cremation. There may be a family gathering at a future date but no visitation, funderal, memorial, grave side service is planned.
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylmiller@aol.com View Post
I'm an optimistic 71 year old male who was diagnosed with a potentially life threatening illness last October. I'm having a procedure on January 10 that could cause my premature death. I have decided to donate my whole body to science. The service will send my spouse creamated returns at a future date.

What is appropriate language for obituary where a person has elected whole body donation followed by a cremation. There may be a family gathering at a future date but no visitation, funderal, memorial, grave side service is planned.
larrylmiller,

Since you have the forethought and desire to write your own obituary, you can say whatever you want to say; an explanation of what your purpose and plan is, or not. It just depends on how much information you decide you want to provide.

My best to you on your upcoming procedure.

Last edited by cljm : January 11th, 2012 at 08:41.
Old January 15th, 2012, 14:02

Default The Gift of Life

Hi Larry,

God bless you for being so giving and thoughtful. I hope your procedure went well on January 10.

The actual obituary for a person who has donated their physical body to a program where his/her body will help others' quality of life can be said so purely and simply. There is no set protocol for this. In fact, like cljm said, you can say whatever you want to say.

We did have a celebration of life for Shaun when he passed away, but we did not have a funeral per se. There was a gathering of friends and family, but his physical body was not there. We had pictures, candles, music, and everything that signified the essense of who he was while on earth. But we did not "bury" him or have any rituals of that kind.

We said something like this after the usual details of age, date, place, and surviving family members:

"Shaun's loving and generous spirit continues to touch lives. It was his desire that when he passed on, if he could help improve or even save someone's life by organ donation, we would honor and respect his wishes.

"We, as a family, are comforted in our loss knowing that countless others have been given a second chance thanks to his precious gift. If desired, donations to the XXXXX or XXXXX would be appreciated."

We also have an online memorial for him, and we provided that website address for those who wished to share their memories of him and pass on their condolences.

Simple, direct, and to the point. What matters the most are your wishes, and those who love you will honor and respect them.

Marjatta

P.S. I forgot to mention that we've already received thanks from a eye donor bank because a few days after Shaun's death, his eyes were used in two sight-saving surgical operations, granting two people the gift of sight once again. It doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited by Marjatta : January 15th, 2012 at 14:05. Reason: Add P.S.
Old December 14th, 2012, 19:51

That's awesome, Marjatta.