The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:03

Default Family Pet At A Funeral

I attended the funeral of a friend's mother, and I was surprised that the family dog was there, too.

Apparently the mother always liked the idea of including the dog at family functions, so the dog attended her funeral, too.

I thought it was appropriate, considering her mother's wishes.

Have you ever experienced a pet at a funeral?
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:49

I've heard of this before, but I have never personally seen it... funerals are becoming less formal and more personalized. A good trend, I think.
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:57

I havent but my friend had her dog in her wedding pictures which was so cute but im all for having pets at funerals, they are part of the family,
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:40

I've never been to a funeral that was attended by a pet, but I think it's a great idea.

Although I have to say, I can just picture my cats at a funeral. One would be eating the flowers, one would be climbing the curtains, one would be tipping over the coffin...well, you get the idea!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:15

I agree with everyone, it is a great idea especially if the funeral is for an animal lover. The people I know that have pets would love their animals there. Funerals should be less formal and more personalized. It should be a time for the person who passed, and whatever that person would have liked, they should get.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 15:18

I have never seen a family pet at a funeral, but I don't see why not. I would certainly love to have my dog at mine!
Old March 24th, 2008, 00:59

I never really even thought about pets at the funeral, but I can see that. I love my cat so much right now that I would probably want him to be at my funeral.
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:03

If i went before my dogs, i would like them to be there.

When my dad died, his body was been taking to his local chapel from the funeral home.

Catholics in the Uk normally have the body in their own home for a few days but my mum decided against it because she has 2 dogs and they would smell the body.

So the night before my dads funeral, the funeral director drove up in the hearse with my dads body in the back and then we all walked behind the car to the chapel.

There was around 100 people just ready to walk behind the hearse, my husband was locking my mums house and we looked up and my dads dog, harvey, a golden retriever, jumped up onto the sofa and looked out of the window.

Well i will tell you, everyone, even my mum was composed up until that point and i have never seen so many people burst out crying at the same time. The dog just had a big silly look on his face as if to say " whats going on here then ? " and everyone just broke down.
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I've never been to a funeral that was attended by a pet, but I think it's a great idea.

Although I have to say, I can just picture my cats at a funeral. One would be eating the flowers, one would be climbing the curtains, one would be tipping over the coffin...well, you get the idea!

That made me smile, total carnage ! X
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
If i went before my dogs, i would like them to be there.

When my dad died, his body was been taking to his local chapel from the funeral home.

Catholics in the Uk normally have the body in their own home for a few days but my mum decided against it because she has 2 dogs and they would smell the body.

So the night before my dads funeral, the funeral director drove up in the hearse with my dads body in the back and then we all walked behind the car to the chapel.

There was around 100 people just ready to walk behind the hearse, my husband was locking my mums house and we looked up and my dads dog, harvey, a golden retriever, jumped up onto the sofa and looked out of the window.

Well i will tell you, everyone, even my mum was composed up until that point and i have never seen so many people burst out crying at the same time. The dog just had a big silly look on his face as if to say " whats going on here then ? " and everyone just broke down.

Infact, we recently discovered that the last picture we have of my dad was my husband taking a picture on his phone of Harvey and my dad is in the background. I think its quite fitting that he was with his dog in the picture.

I'll post it so you can see it, obviously the dog was shoving his face right up to the camera but my dad is just behind his the dogs head x

http://bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?Me...oId=7015025677