The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Moving on after a loss
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 5th, 2012, 19:02

Default "Never Give Up!"

I wanted to share with you a story of an individual that one day I would hope to meet. I would love to shake this man's hand and tell him he is an honor to meet.. It safe to say after reading his story I'm in total awe of him.

His name is Greg from Chicago Illinois in the states.. The story I read of Greg's tragedy's double fold and the Perseverance, Love and understanding this man has had in his life.... Greg is only about a year older than myself.. so I think that in itself is another eye opener for me....

With the loss of two of his beloved wives in a period of 7 years would be beyond heart breaking and devastating. But he never gave up hope... never turned bitter..he kept his resolve maintaining a heathy attitude about life, love, death ,gratitude and acceptance.

The background of Greg's story is his marriage to his first wife Debbie was of 18 years..( Their relationship was very similar to mine with my wife Tammy's ... so I think it hits home harder for me reading his story) Greg went through a grueling intensive 6 months of trying to care for his wife Debbie as she suffered from an aggressive form of Pancreatic cancer.. and ultimately staying by her side until her final days in Palative/Hospice care where she succumbed to the dreaded disease in Feb of 2000... That alone is devastating 18 years of loving marriage, your best friend and partner taken by such a dreadful wasting disease.. My heart was hurting just reading of that painful period in Greg's life..

As it turns out Debbie's Nurse in the Pallative/Hospice care was pretty much with them both all through Debbie's final day's her name was Carol... Carol kept in touch with Greg after Debbie had passed just to check in on him make sure he was doing alright,,, And over time they became good friends and ultimately began dating a couple of years later... They were married in June 2004 and lived a very happy and full life together until Carol was struck down with Cancer her self and she ultimately succumbed to her cancer in March of 2007.. I don't know how I myself would handle a double deep loss like that...

Greg and his attitude of understanding and his Composure during both horrible times of loss.. Touched my heart.... I see a strength in this man I wish I could have... Even though I myself remarried after losing my Dear wife Tammy I don't think I could handle such a deep secondary loss of my new wife Kathy with such composure and strength...

I think what hits home the most was Greg's philosphy... This is how he looks at life:

"Welcome all to life and loss..look around and when those moments of alone hit you... close your eyes and cry but don't dread the moment. Soak it in...and know that it is the love and closeness you shared when you were together, visiting you again. It's a different way of considering grief. I'm thankfull for all those moments...it's the time again with the one I love. I know it sounds weird...but I hope that I never lose that feeling. "

Such a profound understanding... after so much loss....
Again I just thought I would share... There is always someone out there that has suffered so much and yet they are still grateful even in there deepest pain and misery.. Maybe it is from them we can learn to help ourselves in our own pain and suffering of our loss..draw on their strength and wisdom..

I wish you hope and peace

cal 821
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.jpg (8.0 KB, 3 views)
Yet no person is really alone;
those who live no more echo still within our thoughts and words,
and what they did has become woven into what we are.

I wish you peace and a level path on your journey...

Cal821

Last edited by cal821 : June 5th, 2012 at 19:26. Reason: adding picture
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:21

Default double loss but double love, geofs story

hello dave, i don't know how i missed this one, so amasing that he could be so able to say those words. It is so awful to go through that cancer thing once in a lifetime, but twice, i just can't imagine.

this story really does pull us up by our bootstraps and make us think, now he has two loves waiting for him when he goes home.

thanks for this.

chrissie. xx