The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Relax, chat and inspire > Chat room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 14th, 2014, 01:28

I agree with ginahunt3. There are various ways to help other through your own habits. I couldn't see that in my habits but I know there is something special in all of us. It is only a matter of time when we explore everything about us and help others in the process.
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:31

This is in response to RobertGreene. You said you don't see your hobbies as a way to help people. I can see a couple of things you could do. You said you like to chat and play games. You could go to a convalescent home and read to the residents or play a board game with some of them. My grandfather had a friend who had a band and he goes to nursing homes and entertains them. I used to go with him quite often. While he put on a show I would just go around and meet people and chat with them for a little while. They really enjoyed his performance and they were genuinely happy to have someone to talk to. There are many people who get placed in these institutions by family members who visit in the beginning but then just stop caring until they get a call in the middle of the night saying their loved one has passed away. Meanwhile the resident feels alone. It's a terrible feeling. So why not spend a few hours a month or week making their life a little brighter? I don't care how much money a person can donate, I think time is more valuable to those forgotten by society for nothing but being elderly or ill.
Old February 21st, 2014, 00:12

Thumbs up That's a great idea GinaHunt!!!

I wonder why I couldn't think like you, gina. There are some convalescent homes where I could go and make people's day by playing with them, chatting, and reading books for them. Really, that's a very great idea! So, this way we can always use our hobbies in the profit of those who are in need. I couldn't thing anything better that this for a living.
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:31

I'm glad I could help. There is always something good to be made of even the worst situations and it's those good things that I look for. A friend of mine was murdered in the doorway of his home (just upstairs from my home. We live in a 2 family house) 2 and a half weeks before his birthday. He was talking about partying on his birthday for about 2 months before that so I took it upon myself to give him the party he wanted. I had both ends of the street blocked off and threw him the best block party you could imagine. We had about 300 people, a cake with his picture on it (I had t shirts made with the same pictureon it which I sold and gave the profits to his mom for funeral expenses that she owed), tons of food and even a moon bounce in the middle of the street for the kids. That was the best thing I could think of doing. We already had a funeral to mourn his death so then we had a party to celebrate his life. When I'm grieving the loss of someone I love I just need to do something to remember them in a special way. My best friend was killed in a car accident in November and I'm still trying to figure out how to memorialize her in a very special way. I'm getting a tattoo in her memory but I feel I need to do more. I've spent alot of time trying to figure that out. Something special to honor a very special persons life.
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:27

re posted x