The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Pet loss > Coping with the loss of a pet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 6th, 2012, 13:57

Default Anticipating a loss

I lost my Mom in 2010. Last of my family, and then I was on my own with only Casper for company. Casper the cat has been with us for 16 years. He was my Mom's choice when we went looking for a cat to replace one I had lost before him. I promised Mom to look after him.

I took Casper to the vet this morning and I know it doesn't look good for him. He has lost a lot of weight, the vet diagnosed a heart murmur, and Casper stopped eating yesterday. With other signs, I'm guessing he has kidney failure. He wasn't in obvious pain yesterday so I waited a day. Shouldn't have. This morning I took him in as an emergency. He cried all the way to the vet. I'm back home and already crying, feeling lost without my buddy of 16 years.

I know it's just one more loss piled on all the others in my life, and this one is raw because it's happening now. And there is nothing that makes me feel so helpless as seeing either a person or an animal in pain, and me not able to to something to ease the pain.

It's possible my little guy might make it for another while, and come back home for a while. I hope so. But I fear not. And then, if Casper is gone, that is all in my life that I knew, gone. Only another pet lover can understand, I suppose. This hurts as much as losing a person I loved...
Old December 6th, 2012, 14:25

Default little casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by j's daughter View Post
I lost my Mom in 2010. Last of my family, and then I was on my own with only Casper for company. Casper the cat has been with us for 16 years. He was my Mom's choice when we went looking for a cat to replace one I had lost before him. I promised Mom to look after him.

I took Casper to the vet this morning and I know it doesn't look good for him. He has lost a lot of weight, the vet diagnosed a heart murmur, and Casper stopped eating yesterday. With other signs, I'm guessing he has kidney failure. He wasn't in obvious pain yesterday so I waited a day. Shouldn't have. This morning I took him in as an emergency. He cried all the way to the vet. I'm back home and already crying, feeling lost without my buddy of 16 years.

I know it's just one more loss piled on all the others in my life, and this one is raw because it's happening now. And there is nothing that makes me feel so helpless as seeing either a person or an animal in pain, and me not able to to something to ease the pain.

It's possible my little guy might make it for another while, and come back home for a while. I hope so. But I fear not. And then, if Casper is gone, that is all in my life that I knew, gone. Only another pet lover can understand, I suppose. This hurts as much as losing a person I loved...
dear chris, yes you have found a few of us here, our pets are a godsend to us. i'm so very sad to hear that the little fellow is so poorly, they may be able to help him but we know that if suffering is involved then we have no option do we love but to let them go. im sorry love for you now to be going through the heartache all over again. and yes it does hurt deeply. we can't replace our pets, each one is special and like people, each one has a different personality. our first two cats are burried inder the plum tree in the garden but the others were cremated and i have their ashes together. bani is no 7. when its his turn i know i'll cry buckets as i have with them all. chris would you consider after a little while to adopt another, when your ready, they will love you and bring laughter back into your life.

i said to hazel that when giuls went home they were all waiting and prob said to him, wheres mum? you always forgot to feed us.chris i'm sorry dear friend, please let us know, i'll be thinking of you in my prayers.

sending hugs to you.

chrissie. xx
Old December 6th, 2012, 14:47

Hi, chrissie, and thank you for responding. In the short while since I posted, I decided if at all possible, and if he makes it through the next day or so, I will bring Casper home. I can't bear to think of him dying on a cold table amongst strangers in the vet clinic. Guess my feelings are all mixed in with how I felt about caring for my Mom. I truly believe people, and pets, should live out their days at home, surrounded by people and places they know.

If Casper is in pain and I can't help with that, then I will have no choice but to ask the vet to put him down. But if there is no pain, or if it can be controlled at home, then I want him to know he was loved right up until the end. And I want him to be in his home, right up until the end, if I can manage that. For all the love he has given me over the years, he deserves that much.

It's possible he will be okay for some time, I don't know yet. Waiting for the clinic to call. But I guess I am getting ready for whatever news is to come.

And yes, if / when this little guy goes, I know the shelters are filled with other cats needing a good home. I have had cats around all my life, and need the cuddling they give. I will definitely open my home to another cat, if / when the time comes.

I know you have Bani, and know you feel as I do about our pets. Thanks for the reply.
Old December 6th, 2012, 20:11

Just heard back from the vet clinic. I was so afraid they would say kidney failure and that would be the end of my cat companion of so many years. I prayed for him so hard, that it would turn out to be something I could manage and that I would have him for a little while longer, at least. And I spent the day crying, in anticipation of my loss. My prayers and tears I guess were heard!

My cat, my friend who has been with me through so much for 16 years, has hyperthyroidism and diabetes. While it will cost me a small fortune to care for him given these new complications, the vet said I can bring him home tomorrow, and get started as his cat nurse. There will be a special diet for diabetes (expensive food), and he will need insulin injections every day (can't quite see this cat happily holding out his arm for a needle but...). And he will need a special gel to be spread on his ears, that deals with the hyperthyroidism. Seems like a lot of work, but this little guy has given me so much love and pleasure and fun over the years, time for me to give back, I guess. I don't know how I will afford the money for his care, but do know I will afford the time. He deserves that much.

And the best part, I get to have him for a little while longer. Thank you to chrissie who knows how I would feel about having to lose him. It would have been devastating. Now it will be just a challenge to care for him.
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:10

hi chris i was so worried for you i know how i would have been feeling if it was one of mine i am so glad this mornning we have good news dry your tears now and fetch him home give him extra hugs from all of us
love hazelxx
Old December 7th, 2012, 17:32

Quote:
Just heard back from the vet clinic. I was so afraid they would say kidney failure and that would be the end of my cat companion of so many years. I prayed for him so hard, that it would turn out to be something I could manage and that I would have him for a little while longer, at least. And I spent the day crying, in anticipation of my loss. My prayers and tears I guess were heard!

My cat, my friend who has been with me through so much for 16 years, has hyperthyroidism and diabetes. While it will cost me a small fortune to care for him given these new complications, the vet said I can bring him home tomorrow, and get started as his cat nurse. There will be a special diet for diabetes (expensive food), and he will need insulin injections every day (can't quite see this cat happily holding out his arm for a needle but...). And he will need a special gel to be spread on his ears, that deals with the hyperthyroidism. Seems like a lot of work, but this little guy has given me so much love and pleasure and fun over the years, time for me to give back, I guess. I don't know how I will afford the money for his care, but do know I will afford the time. He deserves that much.

And the best part, I get to have him for a little while longer. Thank you to chrissie who knows how I would feel about having to lose him. It would have been devastating. Now it will be just a challenge to care for him.

chris ive only just read your message, so glad love hes been given soome more time to look after you. you will do it and hes not done and dusted yet.
so pleased for you.

love.
chrissie. xx
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:55

Chris, I've just read your post and I'm crying for you and Casper. I too, am absolutely cat-mad and have twice lost cats who were my darlings. I thought that the worst thing that could happen to me did in January of 2011 when my little Sophie took ill and had to be put to sleep within 4 days......until Jim in December.... If I had to take the extra care of my Picasso or Jake that you've been told Casper needs, I too would do it gladly, despite the expense. They are the best comfort there is and when they're a tie to our loved ones who have passed on, it somehow makes it even more important not to lose them. My aunt in Canada had a cat who needed insulin injections every day for several years and he just accepted them calmly every day in the back of his neck, while he was eating....distract him!
Good luck and lots of love, Clare
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:20

Just had to post again to say Day 1 of the new cat-care regimen started beautifully. It's grey and raining here, said to be an all-day rain, but for me the sun is shining! I remember promising Mom I would look after our little bundle of black fur no matter what, and I'm so glad I can keep the promise a little while longer.

Casper (a.k.a. CFH) was a little gentleman this morning. He took to the new cat food eagerly, finished his brekkie and wandered back to snuggle into his catbed in the den while I got the insulin ready. He didn't even blink as I gave my first ever injection, but was curious about the contraption (= the syringe) I held behind his back afterward. Gave the syringe a good sniff and settled back down. Then I had to try to get some vitamin B liquid into his mouth and thought he would fight me forcing his mouth open. Instead, he just opened wide and swallowed the stuff. Have to do some gel for the hyperthyroidism tonight, but that just goes on his ear, so we'll just have our usual ear rub as we watch telly tonight.

And the patient (and his nurse!) are having a fine day. Anyone who is attached to a pet, especially for as long as CFH and I have been together, and especially a pet who is part of the past, will know why I am crying with relief at the moment, just to see him so peacefully settled in his little bed, and know I have him for one more day.

Thanks to those who posted. Nice to know there are other pet-sillies out there who understand!
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:18

Quote:
Just had to post again to say Day 1 of the new cat-care regimen started beautifully. It's grey and raining here, said to be an all-day rain, but for me the sun is shining! I remember promising Mom I would look after our little bundle of black fur no matter what, and I'm so glad I can keep the promise a little while longer.

Casper (a.k.a. CFH) was a little gentleman this morning. He took to the new cat food eagerly, finished his brekkie and wandered back to snuggle into his catbed in the den while I got the insulin ready. He didn't even blink as I gave my first ever injection, but was curious about the contraption (= the syringe) I held behind his back afterward. Gave the syringe a good sniff and settled back down. Then I had to try to get some vitamin B liquid into his mouth and thought he would fight me forcing his mouth open. Instead, he just opened wide and swallowed the stuff. Have to do some gel for the hyperthyroidism tonight, but that just goes on his ear, so we'll just have our usual ear rub as we watch telly tonight.

And the patient (and his nurse!) are having a fine day. Anyone who is attached to a pet, especially for as long as CFH and I have been together, and especially a pet who is part of the past, will know why I am crying with relief at the moment, just to see him so peacefully settled in his little bed, and know I have him for one more day.

Thanks to those who posted. Nice to know there are other pet-sillies out there who understand!

hello chris, there are animal angels too, their'l be whispering to him, " now casper you know how much this human needs you to do this so be good now " incase he decides to get bored with his new food try boiled fish and brown bread but run it by ya vet first. bani also has tabs for his over active thioroid, been on them about 3 years now, they can cause a disturbance in their bowel movements, the fish and brown bread solved that prob. he has even gained some weight. i give him a few licks of live yog and a little olive oil for his dry skin which is a side effect of thioroid trouble. typical ent it, i have an underactive one and struggle to lose weight.
im glad hes ok love.

chrissie, love and hugs to both. xxx
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:56

Thanks, chrissie. So far the food is not a problem but I will talk to the vet about alternatives if necessary. I just phoned the clinic to order 2 cases of the special food, and the clinic nicely delivers, so I needn't even struggle to carry home heavy tins of food. There's a pet store walking distance from where I live but the food is only available from a vet because it's prescription. Well, we'll get it all settled no doubt. Just a new part of life from now on. I recently started a small aquarium as well, with only one fish (a male betta fish, and you can put only one of those in a tank because they fight with each other). Casper the cat of the house finds no end of enjoyment, lying in his catbed and watching the fish swim around the tank. Sort of "telly for cats" - when the cat is awake.

Guess we don't realize how very much our pets mean until we think we might lose them, eh?