The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 4th, 2007, 11:22

Default Counseling for Teens

We have had several teens in our area die as a result of car accidents. The schools have had counselors available, but those who were especially close to the victims are having a difficult time. My nephew is one who is suffering, and I think he should get extra help and support. Would you recommend going through the school to see who they may recommend? I want him to have someone to work with he can relate to as a teenager.
Old January 5th, 2008, 13:52

Counseling teens can sometimes be difficult because they are so much more confused emotionally than adults. This can make things critically difficult.
Old January 5th, 2008, 16:55

It is such a shame to hear about these types of things, and I hope that your nephew gets the help that he needs. The school may be able to help you find somebody, I would give it a shot.
Old January 5th, 2008, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjsarauer View Post
We have had several teens in our area die as a result of car accidents. The schools have had counselors available, but those who were especially close to the victims are having a difficult time. My nephew is one who is suffering, and I think he should get extra help and support. Would you recommend going through the school to see who they may recommend? I want him to have someone to work with he can relate to as a teenager.
Yes being in the field, I can tell you that the ones close to the individauls who died will need individual counseling but not just anyone. You need someone who works with youth and teens and also with grief. You can start by asking the counselors in the school, they may be able to tell you who they could see. You can also check their local community for any grief support groups. Also, crisis support hotlines can also help after regular hours.
Old January 10th, 2008, 23:06

When a friend of my sis died we found someone through the church for her to talk to. It helped a lot and I don't know why we didn't look sooner for her. She kept saying she was ok, but we knew she wasn't/.
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:17

It's fortunate that Rachele responded to this thread.

I'm sure it can be very difficult dealing with the loss and accepting help in some cases.

I know of a girl whose boyfriend ended his life, which of course was very difficult to deal with. She then ended up moving, apparently to distance herself from her boyfriend's mother, who was keeping in close contact.

I think that's a tragic case of two people needing to grieve differently, and the two ways weren't compatible.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:34

I too am in the counseling field, and for teenagers I would recommend group therapy with other teenagers that have gone through the same thing. This way they can feel as if they're not alone and that they are among their peers. They can also have an outlet to talk things through with other teens who think like they do.
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:15

Default What to do?

I hope someone can offer me some hope, as I want to help, but don't know just how. I know of a teen that his father passed away when he was young and seemed fine for years. He is now a teenager and I think that the grieving is starting to come out, but in anger with references to his father and missing him. He will not go for help, as he thinks he doesn't need it. How can I help him? Thank you.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:36

I think the school can help a lot especially if they have group counseling where a bunch of the students can talk about what happened. It's good to know that others are feeling the same way you are and that you're not alone with your grief. It's great for teens and adults to talk things out.
Old April 16th, 2011, 05:59

Maybe the school may recommend your teen to attend some suitable programs for teens, that can provide counseling, someone to talk to for outburst of emotions and could keep him busy to gradually help accept the tragedy.

Last edited by shyrisanne : April 17th, 2011 at 23:26.