The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 31st, 2007, 22:37

I can't imagine why they shouldn't be allowed to attend. Just because they are of a certain age doesn't mean that they don't need to greive or have closure.
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:54

SageMother, you know your children better than anyone else. If you and they decided that attending the funerals was appropriate, then it was. I think anyone who second-guesses you is just being rude. Perhaps you could tell them coolly, "Thank you for your concern, but I'm sticking by my decision."
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:41

I agree with Calypso. Some people think all teens are the same, but parents know that it is simply not true. I think kids need to experience all the ceremony and rituals that go with death as well as just dealing with death.
Old September 17th, 2007, 18:32

I think perhaps if they are old enough to attend they are old enough to see the raw emotions and understand but... it isn't always up to the child. I was not allowed to my grandad's funeral and I wasn't happy about the decision. I was seven at the time. I would've wanted to go though, as a gesture. Even young people can understand.
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:46

I think realizing death and experiencing the grieving process is something people should deal with as soon as possible, when someone they know passes away. I think denying the process could be unhealthy.

In my opinion, teenagers should definitely be allowed to attend the funerals of friends.
Old October 13th, 2007, 15:20

Unhappy

My friend's brother just recently died. It was a tradegy. He was quite the amazing kid. I wish young people didn't die, it's just not fare!
Old October 15th, 2007, 00:13

I wish that people didn't treat teenagers as a different species. Of course they are full of emotion, we all are! Why should we try to shelter them from something that they are going to spend the rest of their lives dealing with?
Old January 5th, 2008, 13:51

There was an excellent (and now forgotten) film on this subjct made many years ago called Surviving. I wonder if it will ever find a dvd release
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:33

It depends on religion.Because in some religions after some age only we are allowed to attend funeral.So i cannot tell.
Old February 8th, 2008, 13:32

There is a worry with grieving teens that they can slip into a major depression because they are not mature enough to handle loss.