The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Coping with grief > Grieving teenagers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 14th, 2007, 16:26

I lost a friend while I was in high school to a heart attack and then a boy I didn't know very well committed suicide not long after we graduated.
Seeing a lot of this really has only taught me that every day I wake up I might hear about another friend gone. I try not to think that way but it helps to prepare me in case anyone close to me passes on.
Old November 18th, 2007, 15:02

i think life is so much different these days and kids have more freedom which can cause them to take stupid risks hat result in deah and this is a tragic fact
Old November 18th, 2007, 20:37

This is true...a lot of accidents lately are caused by things like cellphones. I know I can't turn my little car (no power steering) when I am holding a phone so I don't answer it unless it is important or use speakerphone. I never look away from the road.
They also need more discipline and see what a small mistake can do to themselves and the lives of others.
Old January 5th, 2008, 13:53

I wouldn't say there are any more deaths now than there were years ago. I think that out perception that socety is getting worse is what motivates our opinions
Old January 11th, 2008, 00:49

I think my youngest sister is having to deal with a lot more deaths than my brothers and I did growing up, but what worries me is the types of deaths.

She has had several of her friends in the last year and a half commit suicide. It seemed like after the first oen committed suicide several of them followed her lead. I don't want to think that they all did it for that reason, but it is hard not to think that they influenced each other. It was easier for them to just end things than deal with problems in life.

My brothers and I and the rest of my family have made sure that my sister understnads that we are all her for her, to help her with any problems she has. No problem needs to be the end of the world for her.
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:31

3 Friends?Its really bad.But try to make your kids happier so that they forget that death of friends.Otherwise it will affect their mind.
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:05

I didn't lose any close friends during high school, but there were two twin boys who were very popular in the school.

Their tragedy took the form of being in a street race and accidentally killing a younger child or two. I forget the details now.

I'm sure they were never the same after that.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:43

When I was a teen I wasn't allowed to do the things that teens are allowed to do now. Teens today act like adults even though they aren't capable of handling those situations.

No more going to the corner candy store for a soda. Now teens are way more into drugs and alcohol. All those things can bring teens to a tragic end.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 00:23

My 3 kids are actually my stepkids. I have raised them since they were 3, 2 & 3 mos. Their mother was shot & killed when she was 8 mos. pregnant with the youngest. They have had to deal with that plus the deaths of other family & friends. Too many to count. The oldest is 18 & away at school, but my 17 & 15 yos. are still at home & they think it is unfair that they have to be home at 8 p.m. It is a battle every day. They have the 'it can't happen to me' state of mind. I am lucky that my 2 oldest (daughters) will talk to me about most things. My son is still kind of immature so I worry, but he's easier than the girls. The city we live in has a lot of crime so I consider myself lucky that they are pretty good kids. There is 1 kid, 13 yo. who sells drugs to help his mom pay the bills, they live down the street. It's so sad.