The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a friend
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:39

Default Letting her go

A lifelong friend suffered a massive stroke last week. She has been in a vegetative state since. The scans reveal that she is brain dead. Doctor said: We must removed the feeding tube from her throat. We can have a feeding tube put in her stomach and she may live for another ten years as a vegetable.
The tube was removed yesterday and now it is only a matter of waiting for her to die.

Edit to Add: On the tail end of this news, we received good news. See my update in Teen Accident.
Old October 13th, 2007, 13:22

She finally passed peacefully last week. It was so sad for me because she was always such a fun and vibrant person that loved to laugh and tell stories. There was no service, her wishes were only to be buried and make sure she had socks on. I'll always remember her quirky ways.
Old November 11th, 2007, 21:08

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a very dear friend ,who was in a terrible horse accident, and was prounounced <brain dead> and her family deicided to put in the feeding tube, and she lived, but not well for another 7years,before she passed. I was so saddened everytime I visited her. She would not have wanted to be a vegatable.
Old November 12th, 2007, 14:47

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We just lost my mother in law in the same way. We made the decision to take her off of life support and let her go peacefully. It was what she would have wanted and the last gift we could give her.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:13

I am sorry. I know that many people don't understand that loss of a friend can be as bad as losing a close family member. I went through this when my college roommate died at 21. People didn't take my grief very seriously.
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:46

Default friend's quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
She finally passed peacefully last week. It was so sad for me because she was always such a fun and vibrant person that loved to laugh and tell stories. There was no service, her wishes were only to be buried and make sure she had socks on. I'll always remember her quirky ways.
Priscilla, I think that remembering the things that made our friends individuals with their own quirks are a wonderfully healing thing. Thinking of an individuals funny ways, and perhaps getting a laugh about it is so comforting. You are thinking about what made you love them, and I think it feels as if you have touched them again, maybe only for an instant.
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:27

That is such a sad situation. I worked in a nursing home for years, so I know how these circumstances affect family and friends. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, but I know that's impossible, so I'm sending cyber hugs your way.
Old December 11th, 2007, 14:35

That's really sad. At least she's not suffering though. I don't think anyone would want to live like that. You guys did the right thing letting her go. I think it is selfiish for people to keep people around like that, when there's no quality of life.