The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Relax, chat and inspire > Chat room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 3rd, 2007, 22:07

Default Death in the movies

Hollywood doesn't do death very well as a general rule. The dying characters almost always look great right up until the end, and are usually spouting world of wisdom or even singing (ala Evita) until the moment they die. I've never seen a Hollywood death where the dying character slipped into a coma for a few hours or days and quietly passed away without a word as most people who die a slow death do.

Can anyone think of an exception?
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:08

Not off the top of my head I can't. Hollywood doesn't look for realism they look for drama and ratings and what will bring in that all mighty dollar.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:13

I don't think I can think of an exception.

There seems to be a trend in TV of communicating or seeing the dead, with shows like Cold Case, Six Feet Under and I think Dead Like Me is one of those, too.
Old August 6th, 2007, 19:07

I've noticed that trend, too. I think these shows are popular because so many of us would like just a few more minutes with our loved ones. I know I'd give a lot for one more conversation with Sylvia.
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:11

I think in many of the episodes the communication with the people that have passed has a calming effect on the living.

I can identify with liking the idea of sharing moments or chatting with friends and family that are no longer with us.
Old August 28th, 2007, 20:14

I thought death protrayed in the Band Of Brothers on the history channel was pretty close to the real thing. They did a great job on that series.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:56

I saw Fried Green Tomatoes a couple weeks ago.

I think if the older lady telling the story had actually died when Cathy Bates' character came into the room with the nurse preparing it for the next patient, that would have been realistic because so often we're surprised by someone's death like that, with things left unsaid, unfortunately.

However in the movie, the lady was still alive and someone else had passed away.
Old October 14th, 2007, 15:19

I can't think of any off the top of my head either and I'm an ex-film student!
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Hollywood doesn't do death very well as a general rule. The dying characters almost always look great right up until the end, and are usually spouting world of wisdom or even singing (ala Evita) until the moment they die. I've never seen a Hollywood death where the dying character slipped into a coma for a few hours or days and quietly passed away without a word as most people who die a slow death do.

Can anyone think of an exception?
Hmmm... good thought/observation. I can't really think of anything either. Well at least not from a major film.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:57

Default truly, madly, deeply

Perhaps this film doesn't quite fit the question, but one of my very favorite films is called truly, madly,deeply. It presents what I think is a very realistic view of grief and resolution. It is an British film and one of my very favorite actors, Alan Rickman, portrays the character who is already dead (I won't say anymore about that!) There is a scene of grief that I think is quite realistic, and it may be a bit hard to watch, but I promise after that scene unfolds a beautiful movie!