The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Dealing with death > When someone you love is dying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 13th, 2007, 08:55

Default Regrets

In my experience dealing with someone who was terminally ill, there seem to always be things I wish I'd done differently.

For example, a friend of ours was in ECU and we assumed we couldn't visit for a few days. Later we heard that she wondered why her friends weren't coming to see her. We should have double checked, instead of taking another friend's word for it that she couldn't receive visitors.

If and when I'm in another similar situation, I hope I won't overlook anything.

Has anyone else here experienced regret at how things were handled at times like these?
Old September 18th, 2007, 21:28

I had a neighbor that tended to be a bit of a whiner. She had an infected tooth and went to ER and got antibiotics. The swelling went down and the infection seemed to go away, but after about a week, she started complaining that she had the flu. I kind of blew her off because I figured she was just whining over a cold. She went back to the ER. Turns out the infection had not gone away and she died a day later from it. I'm not the only one that didn't take her seriously. We all felt awful for years about it. I'm just now starting to forgive myself. How was I to know? I'm no doctor.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 17:34

Since death ends relationships so abruptly, I think it's human nature to always wish you had done something differently. It may help to remind yourself that you did the best you could do, and that no matter how hard you try, some things will always be left unsaid and undone. Forgive yourself, just as your loved on would most certainly forgive you.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:27

Default Regrets

I think when someone close to ou dies friend or family you always have some regrets.I think it is a normal feeling and is part of the healing process.
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:18

It for this reason that I always end my visits or phone conversations with "I love you, bye" No matter how mad we are at each other or how we are feeling, the last thing me and my loved ones say to each other is "I love you". Sometimes we say it with a bit of a growl if we are angry, but we always mean it.