The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums

The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical matters (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Taking Photos? (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110)

Taggart July 19th, 2007 17:37

Taking Photos?

Hopefully this is the right area for this question. Have you ever seen someone's picture that was taken in a casket?

I'm surprised that people do this. That doesn't appeal to me, because I'd much rather have a photographic memory of the person in happy times.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.

SageMother July 22nd, 2007 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggart (Post 568)
Hopefully this is the right area for this question. Have you ever seen someone's picture that was taken in a casket?

I'm surprised that people do this. That doesn't appeal to me, because I'd much rather have a photographic memory of the person in happy times.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.

Some people take pictures of every rite of passage and funerals fit that category. I don't find it surprising at all. It is a way of making the last entry to the record of someone's life.

Calypso July 28th, 2007 13:04

It's not a picture that I would want, but some people do find a last photo of their loved one looking peaceful and serene tremendously comforting, especially if the person died of a long, disfiguring illness.

I follow our hospice clients for a year of bereavement services, and recently went to visit a husband whose wife had died. He was eager to show me pictures he'd taken of lying in the casket and kept saying, "She looks so beautiful," and "She looks so peaceful." You could tell those pictures meant the world to him and were already easing his grieving process a little.

sandmike123 July 28th, 2007 19:00

Yuck... Why would someone want a photo like that? When I attend funerals I do not even go near the casket. I prefer to remember the person alive. breathing, and happy.

SageMother July 29th, 2007 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso (Post 689)
It's not a picture that I would want, but some people do find a last photo of their loved one looking peaceful and serene tremendously comforting, especially if the person died of a long, disfiguring illness.

I follow our hospice clients for a year of bereavement services, and recently went to visit a husband whose wife had died. He was eager to show me pictures he'd taken of lying in the casket and kept saying, "She looks so beautiful," and "She looks so peaceful." You could tell those pictures meant the world to him and were already easing his grieving process a little.

I imagine it helped soothe any pangs of guilt. Many people use the pictures for that very reason, to remind themselves of how everything worked out for the best and all is as it should be.

SageMother July 29th, 2007 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandmike123 (Post 693)
Yuck... Why would someone want a photo like that? When I attend funerals I do not even go near the casket. I prefer to remember the person alive. breathing, and happy.

What if alive and breathing didn't include the happy part? What if your memories of them being alive had been pushed aside by months of agonizing pain, disfiguring surgeries, scars, tumors, abscesses...the list could go on!

Did you see Tammy Faye just before she died on Larry King? That will be the last memory many people will have of her, but it's not the last one that her children and husband will have. They will have the image of those last few moments. Often, those are the worst memories.

I would prefer something a bit more peaceful come after the agonal breathing stopped.

sandmike123 August 1st, 2007 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageMother (Post 706)
What if alive and breathing didn't include the happy part? What if your memories of them being alive had been pushed aside by months of agonizing pain, disfiguring surgeries, scars, tumors, abscesses...the list could go on!

Did you see Tammy Faye just before she died on Larry King? That will be the last memory many people will have of her, but it's not the last one that her children and husband will have. They will have the image of those last few moments. Often, those are the worst memories.

I would prefer something a bit more peaceful come after the agonal breathing stopped.

I did see pictures of her in People from Larry King. They were not pleasant. I personally just don't find peace with seeing people in a box. Like anything else I guess it is all in how a person deals with and handles things. For some reason I am able to let go of the visions of then right before death when there is pain and suffering but not of them lying there in the casket.

Taggart August 2nd, 2007 07:58

This reminds me of seeing a friend in her casket. She looked remarkably younger, and different than she had even before her illness.

I've never really heard anyone comment on photos like these before. I just remember being surprised to see one in a stack of otherwise random family photos.

Priscilla September 14th, 2007 13:13

I have seen this and I've often thought it is quite tacky.

riskey58 September 15th, 2007 19:18

Taking Photos

Yes I did. Years ago when my husbands mother died they took pictures of her in the casket. I had never seen this before, and was truely shocked. I guess it happens quite often, but I had never seen it.