The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums

The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical matters (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Making Funeral Plans in Advance (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132)

Calypso August 7th, 2007 21:12

Making Funeral Plans in Advance

One of my clients was very indignant to learn that it costs less to make funeral arrangements in advance than to wait until a loved one is deceased and then make the arrangements. Since talking to her, I've confirmed this information with several funeral homes. The whole thing kind of makes me want to go ahead and make my own arrangements now, even though with any kind of luck at all I won't need them for the forseeable future. That way there'll be more left over for my nieces and nephews.

sandmike123 August 9th, 2007 16:27

I have never heard of this but I am definitely going to look into it now.... Thanks for letting us know that.

Taggart September 8th, 2007 14:30

I know of people who've arranged their own funerals. I think it's very considerate and helpful to the friends and family at their time of loss.

riskey58 September 9th, 2007 08:05

Making funeral plans in advance

I have thought of this often, but have not moved on it, I Think it is a great idea, and know I should really look into this.

Priscilla September 14th, 2007 13:15

This is definitely a good thing to look into. I think it is one of the most considerate things a person can do for their loved ones.

Calypso September 23rd, 2007 10:16

I think, too, arranging your own funeral absolves your family of a lot of guilt if they don't or can't afford an expensive affair. And some funeral directors "guilt" families into believing that $$$$ = love, which of course, it doesn't. Me, I want a direct cremation and a small memorial service, then scatter my ashes wherever it's legal to do so.

reviewer November 12th, 2007 10:25

It is unfortunate, but many funeral directors do take advantage of people who are grieving. Many places will gouge you or guilt trip you into spending more. It's best to make arrangements in advance to avoid this and to be able to conceivably check more than one place if you're unhappy.

katharina December 4th, 2007 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by reviewer (Post 1539)
It is unfortunate, but many funeral directors do take advantage of people who are grieving. Many places will gouge you or guilt trip you into spending more. It's best to make arrangements in advance to avoid this and to be able to conceivably check more than one place if you're unhappy.

This is truly a sad state of affairs that it happens this way! As if the
family doesn't have enough to worry about! :(

jnjsarauer December 4th, 2007 10:26

My parents have everything arranged, and it is reassuring knowing that our family will not have to deal with all the details of the funeral when they pass on. We nearly lost my mom a couple years back, so I know what a fragile emotional state I'll be in when the time comes.

MerdeCat January 11th, 2008 23:55

If you pay in advance, beware. My local funeral director was put in jail for using all the money for himself from people who paid in advance. Now those people don't have what they thought they'd have. It's a big mess.