The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums

The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical matters (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Utility bills (http://www.thelightbeyond.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484)

Lee September 15th, 2008 10:20

Utility bills

Can utility bills in the United Kingdom be changed into another name? I recently lost my dad and I need to change the electricity and gas bills into my own name.

If not, can anyone advise what to do?

Thank you.

Lee

luciestorrs September 15th, 2008 11:51

Hi Lee,

You will need to get in touch with each utility company separately - they will each have their own procedures for dealing with a transfer after a death. I would think it would be possible to change your father's name to yours, as this is certainly possible after a house move, for example.

It goes without saying that I am sorry for your loss.

Lee September 15th, 2008 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by luciestorrs (Post 3478)
Hi Lee,

You will need to get in touch with each utility company separately - they will each have their own procedures for dealing with a transfer after a death. I would think it would be possible to change your father's name to yours, as this is certainly possible after a house move, for example.

It goes without saying that I am sorry for your loss.

OK, thanks for your advice :)

ginahunt3 September 15th, 2008 22:43

Lee, my grandpa passed away in March & my cousin was going to continue living in the house. I had everything put in his name with little trouble. There was 1 that I needed to send a death certificate for. I would assume that it would be relatively easy in the U.K. as well. We did have to assume responsibility for Grandpa's outstanding bills. The balance was forwarded to the next months bill.

Lee September 16th, 2008 08:09

OK, thank you :)

Lee November 25th, 2008 13:42

Just to update. I emailed the gas and electricity supplier (I get both from the same company) and they changed it into my name with no problem at all.

Phoenix February 18th, 2009 21:35

I phoned my dad's electricity and gas supplier a week after he died because there was a 180 outstanding bill. I phoned to say that it would be paid but I'd need some time and could future bills be sent to me. After ages on hold the guy said "it's just an estimate, register online in his name, update the meter reading and we'll send an updated bill. Then you can ring back and we'll change it into your name." Good job I had time to do that because I wasn't busy arranging the funeral and contacting all his friends and distant relatives and sorting out all the other million and one things....
So I still haven't done it. Now they will get rude answers when they demand the money. Unhelpful sods. He didn't even have the decency to say sorry for your loss. If that's their attitude then they can wait.