The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Loss of a loved one > Loss of a grandparent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 29th, 2011, 18:51

Default My dear sweet Nana - 2 yrs tomorrow

Hi everyone,my name is Lauren and I`m 26. My Nana passed away oct 30 2009. So tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary.
It`s still so hard, I still cry alot and I never stop thinking about her.
She was my Moms Mom and they were close so I quickly became the fav grandchild and Nana didn`t get embarassed telling people that! so silly. I recently found a card she gave me for my birthday one year and on the back it said ``You will always be my sweetiepie, you are the light of my life, love always nana``
She was my best friend and someone who loved me unconditionally no matter what, she was always there to hug me or talk on the phone and visit and go shoppping. She was far from the typical older lady steriotype. She was very active.
May of 2009 she started complaining her back hurt right down close to her bum. doc said it was arthritus. she then went back after the pain intensified and the doc did upper back x rays (yes she told her it was her lower back that hurt) said she didn`t see anything.
Finally she sent her in for a bone scan at the end of july. at the hospital they gace her percocet, that night she took one and want to sleep, woke up a while later needed the washroom, got out of bed and was so dizzy she stumbled across the room and fell screaming in pain. The ambulance came and she was admitted with a severly broken pelvis.
We found out later from the bone scan that a fractured tailbone had been causing the pain in her back
So she was in the hospital from july until october, she tried so hard and did her physio and such, then suddeny she stopped being able to swallow, she wanted desperatly to eat but just couldn`t so they told her they were going to but in a feeding tube, after we talked about it we agreed that it was up to her, and she didn`t want one. The family agreed with her decision. I went to the hospital to see her the day she made the decision and her very last words to me were ``Never forget, that I always loved you best`` and gave me a hug and a kiss, the next day she slipped into a coma and passed away oct 30th.

I am so lost, I don`t know how to make the pain stop, i miss her more each day, i am still devestated and no one seems to understand.
Old October 30th, 2011, 05:16

Shalom in Yeshua Lauren, I know how your are feeling because everyone here have all been in the same place as you are now. The fact it is nearly two years makes no difference to your feelings. Your nan sounds like a lovely woman. May God bless her!!

I suspect that your thoughts are revolving around her last moments on earth. While this is normal it can also be negative. May I suggest that you start thinking about all the beautiful times you had together. Over time the nice thoughts will suppress the struggle and pain she had to go home.

Just as she told you many times how she loved you, tell her how you love and miss her. She can still hear you, so talk to her. You could also do with talking you your mum. Tell her how you are feeling. She will be missing her also so you can both comfort each other. I will say a prayer for you this evening.

May God bless you
Tom
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:17

Default hey

Hi my name is Alison. Im 24. I lost my nanny when I was 16. Its been 8 years in April. Today is the 6th of January and its my nannys birthday so i have to go and put some flowers down and im dreading it. I cried reading every part of ur post. My nanny meant the world to me. She was not only my nanny but she was my mum and my best friend. I miss her more and more everyday and it dont seem to get any easier. I fully understand where ur coming from, i was my nannys favourite, Out of 7 children my nanny had and the 20 grandchildren she had I was her favourite. The last thing my nanny said to me was 'i love you Alison'. I was the only one my nanny spoke 2 at the hospital and she cried when she told me she loved me. I hate my life without her and dont know how im surpose 2 get over it as people put it. I cry everyday and never have anyone to talk to as no one understands what im going through, Thats why when I saw u post i thought u knew exactly the pain and heartche i am feeling. would be nice to hear back from you. xx
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:11

Shalom in Yeshua Alison, welcome to the forum. The loving bond between you and your nanny must have been a very strong one for you to be still hurting so much. Know that I have already said a prayer for you.

We don't get over the loss of a loved one, we come to terms with their passing over, and this can take a long time. Everyone here knows exactly how you are feeling because we have all been there, and we all want to help you.

Have you told your mum or dad or anyone else how you are feeling? The reason I ask is that it is very important to talk about your nanny to them. By doing this we find joy in stories about their lives. This was the reason for the 'Irish wake'. People would gather and share stories and funny little things they did. It really does help and it leads to inner healing.

Take the opportunity at the graveside to start the ball rolling, but if you find it difficult to talk to your family then do it here. We will listen.

May God bless you
Tom