The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > General loss > Non-bereavement losses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 8th, 2007, 20:06

Default Loss of my health

During the last two years, my health has been declining fast. I'm obese and trying to lose weight with only limited success. My stamina is gone. My uterus is gone. I used to be able to walk for miles, and now I can barely manage half a block. My bipoloar disorder is not well controlled. I feel as if I'm just falling apart. Every time I get one problem halfway under wraps, another one turns up.

This week, it's migraines. I've had a horrible headache since Friday. The only relief I've gotten is during an ER visit when they gave me morphine. I'm supposed to see a neurologist tomorrow.

I know there are things I could be doing to take better care of my health, but each setback makes me feel discouraged and less likely to do them. Is anyone else in this position? What have you done that has helped?
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:14
Administrator

Calypso, if it's any consolation, your excellent brain is definitely still firing on all cylinders!

I don't quite know what to suggest here. It's easy to know what one should do, but I think everyone here would agree that it isn't always easy to do it. Could you try some shorter walks more frequently throughout the day and try to build up some stamina that way? and are you eating plenty of fruit and vegetables?

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep: over 250 funeral poems, quotes and readings
If There's Anything I Can Do...: full of practical ways to help the bereaved
Old August 10th, 2007, 19:37

Dear Lucie,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, I'm trying to do all the common sense things...I say trying because years of NOT doing them has gotten me into some pretty bad habits. But I am eating more fruits and vegetables and less chocolate, and I am trying to walk more. As for the migraines, I traced them back to some work-related stress and had a talk with my supervisor who guided me through things.

I'm not quite ready to give up yet--but it is a rude awakening that I'm no longer a spring chicken, nor do I have the body or constitution of one.
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:36
Administrator

Chocolate - is that your downfall?! I wonder if the sugar could be contributing to your headaches as I know this can be the result of too much sugar consumption?

It's another form of grief, I think, to realise that as we get older we cannot get away with the same kind of things as when we were younger... I am fast approaching 40 (this year) and have noticed a definite tendency for my body to retain weight in a way that it never used to.

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep: over 250 funeral poems, quotes and readings
If There's Anything I Can Do...: full of practical ways to help the bereaved
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:01

I can identify with my body changing over the years, too.

I have a couple small suggestions. I think it's great that you're getting more fruit. I've been making fruit smoothies in a blender, using different combinations of a couple ice cubes, orange juice, frozen bananas and other fruit and some honey. I think each one ends up having 2 or 3 servings of fruit.

And the only chocolate we keep in the house at the moment is the darker kind with less sugar, which still satisfies the craving when we cave in. Do you like that kind of chocolate?
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:25

Taggart, I agree, I can't eat nearly as much dark chocolate as I can milk chocolate so it's a great way of cutting down without feeling totally deprived.
Old September 5th, 2007, 17:54

Do you have diabetes? I do ,and felt that way many times, before I was diagnosed. After giving up sugar , completely , I can say WOW, what a difference. Just a thought!
Old September 9th, 2007, 19:12

Default Loss of my health

For me it is hard getting older. I always was in great health, now it seems the doctor is always finding something wrong.
Old September 12th, 2007, 19:02

Thanks for the ideas about the fruit smoothies and the dark chocolate. I'll have to give both those ideas a try. Unfortunately when I'm stressed out I "eat my stress" so to speak, and it packs on the extra pounds. I am diabetic, but so far can't bring myself to cut all sweets out of my diet. Cutting back is hard enough!
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Thanks for the ideas about the fruit smoothies and the dark chocolate. I'll have to give both those ideas a try. Unfortunately when I'm stressed out I "eat my stress" so to speak, and it packs on the extra pounds. I am diabetic, but so far can't bring myself to cut all sweets out of my diet. Cutting back is hard enough!
I recently thought I'd try dark chocolate, too... I truly don't like it and can't
get used to it, so I decided it's better having none at all. (I'm talking about
the very dark kind for health benefits... 85% cacao from Belgium and not
the baking kind).

I hope you're feeling better by now, Calypso... this post was written a
few months ago so I was hoping to see an update.