The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 7th, 2007, 21:12

Default Making Funeral Plans in Advance

One of my clients was very indignant to learn that it costs less to make funeral arrangements in advance than to wait until a loved one is deceased and then make the arrangements. Since talking to her, I've confirmed this information with several funeral homes. The whole thing kind of makes me want to go ahead and make my own arrangements now, even though with any kind of luck at all I won't need them for the forseeable future. That way there'll be more left over for my nieces and nephews.
Old August 9th, 2007, 16:27

I have never heard of this but I am definitely going to look into it now.... Thanks for letting us know that.
Old September 8th, 2007, 14:30

I know of people who've arranged their own funerals. I think it's very considerate and helpful to the friends and family at their time of loss.
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:05

Default Making funeral plans in advance

I have thought of this often, but have not moved on it, I Think it is a great idea, and know I should really look into this.
Old September 14th, 2007, 13:15

This is definitely a good thing to look into. I think it is one of the most considerate things a person can do for their loved ones.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:16

I think, too, arranging your own funeral absolves your family of a lot of guilt if they don't or can't afford an expensive affair. And some funeral directors "guilt" families into believing that $$$$ = love, which of course, it doesn't. Me, I want a direct cremation and a small memorial service, then scatter my ashes wherever it's legal to do so.
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:26

My parents have everything arranged, and it is reassuring knowing that our family will not have to deal with all the details of the funeral when they pass on. We nearly lost my mom a couple years back, so I know what a fragile emotional state I'll be in when the time comes.
Old January 11th, 2008, 23:55

If you pay in advance, beware. My local funeral director was put in jail for using all the money for himself from people who paid in advance. Now those people don't have what they thought they'd have. It's a big mess.
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:21

It's really important to do some research before the worst happens. The cost of a funeral isn't thought about in general day to day life, and yet it can be a huge amount as nothing to do with funerals is cheap!

I did some research before my wife died as she was seriously ill for some time. There are several helpful sites such as UK Funerals Online and Age Concern. Some other useful sites have information on purchasing and paying for funeral cover as well as life insurance, and how it can help when you most need it.

Hope that helps a bit. It's the worst thing to think about, and yet it helps so much to be prepared as it takes such as huge stress off your shoulders at a time when you are at your most weak, mentally and physically.
Old October 27th, 2010, 13:39

Default Making Funeral Plans in Advance

The best ones to go for are the type that holds your funds in a trust and not the insurance policy types.

You can arrange and pay for the services that you need at todays price. The funds are held in a trust until needed. For burials the grave is purchased at the time of arranging the funeral plan. Some cemeteries will even give you a choice of locations.

It is also a way of getting rid of some of your savings for whatever reasons that you may have. You can also rest assured that whatever services you have chosen will be carried out as per your wishes.