The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 19th, 2007, 18:37
Taggart Taggart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 189
Default Taking Photos?

Hopefully this is the right area for this question. Have you ever seen someone's picture that was taken in a casket?

I'm surprised that people do this. That doesn't appeal to me, because I'd much rather have a photographic memory of the person in happy times.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 22:12
SageMother SageMother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
Hopefully this is the right area for this question. Have you ever seen someone's picture that was taken in a casket?

I'm surprised that people do this. That doesn't appeal to me, because I'd much rather have a photographic memory of the person in happy times.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.
Some people take pictures of every rite of passage and funerals fit that category. I don't find it surprising at all. It is a way of making the last entry to the record of someone's life.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 28th, 2007, 14:04
Calypso Calypso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 205
Default

It's not a picture that I would want, but some people do find a last photo of their loved one looking peaceful and serene tremendously comforting, especially if the person died of a long, disfiguring illness.

I follow our hospice clients for a year of bereavement services, and recently went to visit a husband whose wife had died. He was eager to show me pictures he'd taken of lying in the casket and kept saying, "She looks so beautiful," and "She looks so peaceful." You could tell those pictures meant the world to him and were already easing his grieving process a little.
__________________
Writers and readers are welcome at
www.debrastang.net
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 28th, 2007, 20:00
sandmike123 sandmike123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 58
Default

Yuck... Why would someone want a photo like that? When I attend funerals I do not even go near the casket. I prefer to remember the person alive. breathing, and happy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 29th, 2007, 20:57
SageMother SageMother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmike123 View Post
Yuck... Why would someone want a photo like that? When I attend funerals I do not even go near the casket. I prefer to remember the person alive. breathing, and happy.
What if alive and breathing didn't include the happy part? What if your memories of them being alive had been pushed aside by months of agonizing pain, disfiguring surgeries, scars, tumors, abscesses...the list could go on!

Did you see Tammy Faye just before she died on Larry King? That will be the last memory many people will have of her, but it's not the last one that her children and husband will have. They will have the image of those last few moments. Often, those are the worst memories.

I would prefer something a bit more peaceful come after the agonal breathing stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 1st, 2007, 23:30
sandmike123 sandmike123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
What if alive and breathing didn't include the happy part? What if your memories of them being alive had been pushed aside by months of agonizing pain, disfiguring surgeries, scars, tumors, abscesses...the list could go on!

Did you see Tammy Faye just before she died on Larry King? That will be the last memory many people will have of her, but it's not the last one that her children and husband will have. They will have the image of those last few moments. Often, those are the worst memories.

I would prefer something a bit more peaceful come after the agonal breathing stopped.

I did see pictures of her in People from Larry King. They were not pleasant. I personally just don't find peace with seeing people in a box. Like anything else I guess it is all in how a person deals with and handles things. For some reason I am able to let go of the visions of then right before death when there is pain and suffering but not of them lying there in the casket.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 29th, 2007, 20:53
SageMother SageMother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
It's not a picture that I would want, but some people do find a last photo of their loved one looking peaceful and serene tremendously comforting, especially if the person died of a long, disfiguring illness.

I follow our hospice clients for a year of bereavement services, and recently went to visit a husband whose wife had died. He was eager to show me pictures he'd taken of lying in the casket and kept saying, "She looks so beautiful," and "She looks so peaceful." You could tell those pictures meant the world to him and were already easing his grieving process a little.
I imagine it helped soothe any pangs of guilt. Many people use the pictures for that very reason, to remind themselves of how everything worked out for the best and all is as it should be.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 20th, 2007, 16:23
mollyL mollyL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 39
Default re taking photos

At my father in law's funeral, it was very important to my mother in law that someone take photos of the body in the casket. It turned out that my father was the only one who brought a camera. She asked my father and he did it for her, even though he felt very uncomfortable doing so.
I had never heard of people taking those kind of pictures and was a little surprised about her wanting it done. Neither had my husband.
Both of my in-laws were raised in the south, so I'm assuming it's done more there? I'm not sure at all. Personally, I wouldn't want it done to any of me and mine; as was said, it's better to remember your loved one as alive. My husband made my mother-in-law promise that she would never show the pictures to our kids.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 20th, 2007, 18:36
katharina katharina is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
Hopefully this is the right area for this question. Have you ever seen someone's picture that was taken in a casket?

I'm surprised that people do this. That doesn't appeal to me, because I'd much rather have a photographic memory of the person in happy times.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.
I've seen some, yes... and I happen to feel the same way you do. When I've had to go to viewings and funerals, the visual of the person sticks with me forever whether I want it to or not. I wouldn't suggest taking the pictures to anyone who'd ask, but I'm sure it helps some people.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:02
mjstaal mjstaal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3
Default

Most funeral photos are filed away for a number of years before they are reviewed. The scars are too fresh for quite a while, but after time familes review photos to spur their memories about the service. I think photos shot from a distance are ok --- guests last memories at the caskets, the casket flowers, etc.... but, lets face it. Despite the make up, its not their best day for a glamour shot, so long distance shots are probably best.
__________________
MJStaal
www.casket-buyers-guide.com
"helping families save on funeral costs"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:34.


Copyright 2017 The Light Beyond. Visit the main site at www.thelightbeyond.com