The Light Beyond Bereavement Forum Bereavement StoreMovieBlogSympathy Ecards
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own...

Go Back   The Light Beyond Bereavement Forums > Useful resources > Practical matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 9th, 2007, 08:33

Default Organ Donation

I live in the state of Illinois and they started a new program last year that is very exciting. Normally in the state of Illinois even if you had a donor sticker on your licence your family could still go agaisnt those wishes. Now you log on to a site www.giftofhope.org and can register as a donor and if you are registered no one can reverse your decision.
I'm curious to know how many of you are organ donors. Have you made sure your family knows your wishes?
Old July 9th, 2007, 22:55

What a wonderful program! I'm an organ donor, and I've told my family and DPOA that if they dare go against my wishes I will come back and haunt them. Luckily they agree with my views and will respect my decision when/if that time comes.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:00

This is a very touchy subject for me... Myself, I am a donor. My husband hates that and says he is NOT allowing anyone to cut me open and "gut" me... I never really thought he was right in thinking that way but then when I was asked last month if I would be willing to sign a document allowing my son to be a donor in the event of his death, I realized how he must feel. I couldn't bare the thought of someone cutting my baby boy open and taking him apart...
Old July 10th, 2007, 13:19

Cassie, I'm sorry you had to think about that with in terms of your young son. My theory on it is after one passes away the body is just an empty shell, and even if they do remove organs they close everything back up and you would never be able to tell looking at them resting in a casket. Plus, knowing that a part of your loved one still really lives on with someone else...what an awesome gift to the recipient and the donor. The donor's memory will definately live on forever in the recipient because they will never forget the loss someone else went through when they recieved their new chance at life.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:50

I remember signing the organ donor card several years ago as I was renewing my driver's license.

I assume that the information remains on file indefinitely?
Old July 11th, 2007, 23:30

I don't want to get too morbid or technical here, but embalming is every bit as invasive a procedure as organ donation, AND it doesn't really benefit anyone. At least with organ donations, you know that a part of you or your loved one will be able to enrich someone else's life.

If you want to know more about what happens during the embalming process, follow the link below. As I've said, I don't want to get too descriptive in this forum.

http://www.funerals.org/faq/embalm.htm
Old July 12th, 2007, 22:38

Many Afrp-American families don't encourage organ donation out of fear that they harvesting of their organs might be "rushed". It is a basic distrust of the medical field that is slowly going away.

I am not an organ donor simply because I bet my organs won't be useful when the time comes.
Old July 13th, 2007, 21:08

I'm pretty sure mine won't be either, but I signed my donor card just in case. Even with my different medical conditions, they can still use my eyes, skin, bone, etc. It's kind of cool to think that after I'm gone my eyes may still help someone to see, my skin might help heal a burn patient, my bone might help an athlete to run again or a child to walk for the first time...Not a bad legacy to leave behind.
Old July 14th, 2007, 00:44

Taggart, I'd look into your state's laws. Most allow family to reverse your wishes. So make sure they know that's what you want are willing to follow them.
Old July 14th, 2007, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
What a wonderful program! I'm an organ donor, and I've told my family and DPOA that if they dare go against my wishes I will come back and haunt them. Luckily they agree with my views and will respect my decision when/if that time comes.
I have said the same thing. I also told them that if my organs can not be donated that they are to donate my whole body to science. Something other than it just being.